can preflight check for white overprints?

raj9469

Hi friends!
I am a Graphic designer working for MNC. I want to know can we have preflight in illustrator and can preflight check for white overprints?

Because recently i have done a job in illustrator and some text in white was set to overprint and printed black in HP Indigo Digital machine. In PDF preview it was showing perfect.

Kindly anybody advice....

I work in the flexo industry so pretty much Illy all the time and we have clients all the time supplying white overprints. So I found the following to help me out. It scans the document when you open it and will give you a pop-up telling if it does or does not contain white overprints. The only beef I have with it is that it does not tell you where the whit overprint is.

Tschuse,

steve.weiss

Illustrator CS4 has a "Separation Preview" window where you can turn "Overprint" on and off. Same applies to Acrobat Pro, the window is called "Output Preview".

Rolf

Yes, all the preflight tools (Callas, Adobe Acrobat, PitStop, FlightCheck) can check for white overprints.

If you are talking about creating in Illustrator yourself, and sending things out, you can download the free version of White OverPrint Detector (WOPD). Here:

Plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator CS3 & CS4 Macintosh

It will warn you whenever you set something up that way...."Achtung!" etc.etc.
Dare I say it, but we haven't encountered this lately, but it was probably 'hidden' from us, because our Fujifilmm APPE system is set to force knockout on zero cmyk elements. But as creator, it would be a lifesaver as it seems whoever's printing your stuff can let it slip through.

Thanks for this plugin to the guy who calls himself worker72a.

P.S. my apologies for not noticing what steve.weiss informed you already. Missed the truncated link. However, if you pay the shareware price, which is very reasonable, it will either tell you where it is, or fix it on the fly.
Just another option.

Last edited:
FlightCheck for Illustrator

FlightCheck for Illustrator

Good replies here, but just wanted to make clear and add that FlightCheck Professional v6.5 can preflight natively, the Adobe Illustrator file, as well as package up any used (if not turned to outline) fonts along with your .ai file. FlightCheck can furthermore preflight and postflight many other file formats, such as InDesign, Quark and even PDF's. Here is a post and video on this exact subject:

Can I preflight and package Adobe Illustrator files?

Take care,
David
Markzware

To fix this problem in Illustrator, you select all objects and you use the Overprint Black command (Edit>Edit Colors>Overprint Black) with the following settings:
– Remove Black
– Apply to Fill & Stroke
– Percentage at 0%
– Options: Include Blacks with CMY & Spot Blacks

To fix this problem in Illustrator, you select all objects and you use the Overprint Black command (Edit>Edit Colors>Overprint Black) with the following settings:
– Remove Black
– Apply to Fill & Stroke
– Percentage at 0%
– Options: Include Blacks with CMY & Spot Blacks

Nice tip, saves buying worker72a plugin!

Sc

Nice tip, saves buying worker72a plugin!

Sc

The WOPD plugin is freeware. It works great, has saved me many times. There is the advanced version, which costs a little money, but the basic version is free, and does the trick.

-Sev

Acrobat preflight

Acrobat preflight

Although it requires creating a PDF of the illustration, use Acrobat Preflight > Single Fixups > Set white text and vector objects to knock out.

The WOPD plugin is freeware. It works great, has saved me many times. There is the advanced version, which costs a little money, but the basic version is free, and does the trick.

-Sev

I agree. It's just there, working background when you open a file. Basic is free.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back