Canon C750 POD Deck Stopped Feeding Envelopes

OUPrint872

Out of the blue my Canon C750 with the Extra Large POD feed deck just stopped feeding envelopes. Tech has replaced in entire feed assembly (not the drawer) and still will not feed more that just a few then stops. I open drawer and the top envelope just has a tire mark on it. Nothing horrible jam wise, just stops. For 4 years we ran trays full of 250+ of many types of envelopes and not one runs well now.

We replaced our Xante with the device and has been very reliable and a win for us. Been all over the place with paper optimizations and adjustments. Nothing fixes it.

Paper stock still feeds fine. Occasional double on gloss from time to time, but still feeds at least. Bypass does feed envelopes fine, so it is not the engine.

Anybody having the same issue? Getting ready to maybe acquire a V1000 with the same feed deck and don't want to end up in the same boat.

Things to try:
  1. Try using side-seam envelopes instead of the traditional/diagonal seams (these work way better in envelope inserters too!)
  2. Try rotating the envelopes 180 degrees (which means you'll need to rotate the artwork 180 degrees in the print controller too). It seems sometimes the flaps may hit the drawer/path in such a way that it causes a jam.
  3. If that paper deck is friction feed (vs vacuum feed) then ask the tech to replace the feed tire or try wiping it down with a water-wet rag (don't use alcohol because that dries out the rubber more)
  4. Make sure double-feed detection is off

1703048675856.png

New event! Nothing feeds now from the POD. Nothing changed overnight or has been adjusted at that point. Feed carriage assembly and feed tires are new. I inspected the pickup roller during print. Gets a couple pieces through, then just spins on top of sheet. No obstructions or damaged sheet. Flat, perfectly even and level sheets or envelopes. Nothing will feed now. I have been through the POD deck with a fine tooth comb. Nothing broken, bent or iffy. I also spent some time in service mode checking on feed adjustments and nothing in any threshold will change feed state.

Under engine drawers and bypass feed just fine. I wonder if a firmware update is needed for the POD deck. Perhaps a control board or level 2 setting done by one of our 4 techs that was not documented and shared???

This isn’t specific to the Canon POD deck. If your pickup wheel is new and it just spins it could be that your deck is either not raising enough to create pressure to feed or it is raising too high causing too much pressure. Check to make sure that your sensors are clean and that if you have air assist in the deck that it’s working. Sorry, it’s been a few years since I had a C810 here and I don’t remember the details of the deck, hopefully someone else with experience will chime in soon.

I have a 750 and luckily I haven't have this big a problem. But remembering back to an earlier machine (can't remember the exact model) the feed wheels could be put on backwards, the "tred" runs the wrong way to the spin. Can't say for sure this could happen to the 750 but I would have them check the deck and feed wheels again.

I have a 750 and luckily I haven't have this big a problem. But remembering back to an earlier machine (can't remember the exact model) the feed wheels could be put on backwards, the "tred" runs the wrong way to the spin. Can't say for sure this could happen to the 750 but I would have them check the deck and feed wheels again.
POD Deck feed tires have a locking handle on one side and can only be put on one way. I did look at the jam code history. Code is 00 019B 06.

Machine is feeing maybe 4 sheets perfect, starts to feed the next sheet and either drops it or gets it in about 8 inches then stops. Driving me nuts, because nothing seems to be wrong with anything. Just stops feeding. Again, Bypass and Under Engine Trays are feeding fine with no issues. Seems to be the space between the POD feed assembly and the intake roller slot just before entering engine.

Sounds like either the paper isn't making it to a senor in time or a sensor is maybe dirty or bad.
Clean, but could be malfunctioning. Tech seems to think the path sensor is good. Perhaps I can get him to at least swap it out with a new one. I have not swore it off yet.

I access the top of the feed assembly and apply very light pressure to the feed roller rocker and I can get stable feed. I take my finger away and it jams. I did notice the air assist from the side pulses up and down during the run and that seems problematic. Anyone have experience with this?

Problem has been solved. On the C750 model there is a plate on the POD deck at the gripper of the sheet. This plate is slotted and has hash marks for adjustment and controls the pile top stop.

Looks like over time the plate has moved down just ever so slightly causing the pile to be lower than proper level, effectively starving the machine and causing a delay in pickup.

Needs to dialed in a little, but things are feeding much better now.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back