Can't be done in InDesign? Quark Still has one trick ;)

prep

Hi,

In Indesign, any version, using the line tool to create an arrow head. Looks great. Now I want to change it into a Picture box and place an image into the arrow. I don't think there is anyway to do this in InDesign. In Quark you just click edit shape and choose polygon and it converts the arrow into a polygon which is editable.

The solution is obviously to make the Arrow polygon by tracing the Line tool created arrow.

But why can't I just say "make my arrow a polygon"?

Am I missing something? IS there a plug-in which does this?

Thanks

Hmmm, I thought for sure when I read your query that there must be a way, but none that I can find directly in ID. I was able to find a workaround, though:

Copy the line and paste into a new Illustrator document. Illy will see it as a line and a shape for the arrowhead, as well as a box encompassing both (best viewed as outlines to see). Use the Direct Select tool to select and delete the outer box - you don't need that. Next, select the line and go to Object>Path>Outline Stroke. This converts the stroked line to a filled rectangle. Now you can select that rectangle and the arrowhead shape and use the Pathfinder to merge them into one shape. Finally, copy it, go back to ID and Paste it. Now you have a shape that you can place an image into.

Sounds like more work than it is, and it really hurts me to know that Quark can do something better than ID!

The real questions is how often do you need to draw lines with arrows etc that needs to be converted to outline on the fly? This is assuming you are not using library or a snippet or setup lines/arrow in Illustrator and paste it right into Indy as vector? I really don't see this as a plus for Quark.

Last edited:
If it is vital to you you can allways pop it into the feature request. I think there are more important things though, and since it is possible to do it relatively painlessly with the pen tool, I doubt if it is a high priority feature.

ohhh, score one for Quark.
This "convert an arrow to an outline" feature is way more important than say... printing a file to a laser printer.
Something quark has had issues with since Quark 7.

I have to agree with the majority on this issue. I think I could have outlined the arrow in the time it took to red this post. Certainly not worth ditching ID.

There was A winky at the end......

There was A winky at the end......

Is there some lack of understanding of humor based on irony?

I'd make an arrow layer mask over my image in photoshop. Save the .psd, import to InDesign.

It's not a quick-click method like you used to do in Quark, but I agree with Tech; It's not something you need all the time.

yes - please use the ironic winky next time

yes - please use the ironic winky next time

Is there some lack of understanding of humor based on irony?

Apparently that is true - most of us no longer think Quark and InDesign comparisons are humorus !

You have probably misunderstood that many of us here took the time to try what you did, then come up with the best practices way to do this while in InDesign.

Converting a line with an Arrow end to a polygon and then using it to frame an image is a nifty Quark trick, and this is not available in InDesign.

As you can imagine, most of us InDesign users would hardly switch back for that, and if we knew we wanted an arrow shaped image, we would probably have to start in Photoshop to make sure the image actually works, so this nifty Quark trick is sort of silly IMHO.

So, in summary, please do not waste any more time with such drivel, as you interrupted my Twittering and Facbook posting.

LOL

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back