Catalog or 7.5x10.5 envelope safe for digital presses?

FLPrintShop

Looking for a catalog envelope or something slightly smaller like 7.5x10.5, preferably white but kraft/manila would also work, for our KM presses. No peel-n-seal, press-n-seal, or clasp, just normal gummed envelopes.

Uline has a 7.5x10.5, but they're 'heavily gummed' and I don't want to risk trying them on our new machines. We don't print them to mail in, typically schools will use them as a fundraiser collection tool with (typically) color printing on both sides.

We run standard 6x9, 6.9x9.5 and 9x12 catalog or booklet envelopes on our KM's all the time without any issue - so I'd imagine the 7.5x10.5 would work the same (see the KM models we have in my signature below). We don't purchase special digital ones. They tend to run easier than #10 envelopes, and you can even run them without the envelope fuser. You just need to turn off double sheet detection in the paper settings.

We also run 9.5x12.5 manila envelopes for one customer. These are two-sided and we can run both sides in a single pass. It's actually more problematic to try and run one side at a time.

We purchase our envelopes from KellySpicers, and we usually get the Shasta brand.

We run standard 6x9, 6.9x9.5 and 9x12 catalog or booklet envelopes on our KM's all the time without any issue
We have only recently started printing envelopes on our KM C4080, I perhaps naively thought you could only put peel & seal stock through the fuser.
The peel & seal stock we have run successfully was out of the box flap closed and we ran them flap closed from Tray 5 (with the flap as the leading edge to maintain it closed throughout the process)
So back to Gummed envelopes - presumably these are supplied out of the box as flap closed and you'd run as above?

We have only recently started printing envelopes on our KM C4080, I perhaps naively thought you could only put peel & seal stock through the fuser.
The peel & seal stock we have run successfully was out of the box flap closed and we ran them flap closed from Tray 5 (with the flap as the leading edge to maintain it closed throughout the process)
So back to Gummed envelopes - presumably these are supplied out of the box as flap closed and you'd run as above?
Mostly yes...however, we've found that the 6x9 and 6.5x9.5 envelopes run better from the long edge, flap towards the back of the machine if they are catalog envelopes (flap on the short edge).

And no, you're not limited to peel & seal. However, I would strongly recommend you get side-seam envelopes when you start running #10 envelopes. We run #10 from the short edge, closed flap, and the flap towards the back of the machine. Make sure you have the envelope fuser for them, and you'll need to install the brackets (A) shown in the photo below, along with flipping out the "small sized guides". On a side note, the brackets (A) are very useful when running divider tabs. The hold the tabs into place so they don't blow backwards.

1705961431040.png
1705961596851.png
1705961568432.png

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back