Challenge 305 MPX

kdw75

We are about to purchase one of these used. We found one that looks pristine, about 100 miles from us.

What is the difference between the MPX, and the MPC? Anything I should check out? Are these good machines? The serial # has an E on the end.

A google search will find the specs on both . . . looks like the MPX has an air table .. .

I hope it is a wise upgrade from our Challenge 26.5 inch, made in the 70s. We have used it daily since new, and it has been extremely reliable.

I'm sure it would be . . does you old one have a programmable back gauge?
All manual. I can't even imagine how many millions of cycles it has been through.

We even have a Sheridan's New Model cutter that we use to cut 28x40 sheets. It is a 45" I think, and is gear driven, with the large flywheel on the side. I think it is from the 30's.

I've got two 305 MPX's being replaced. You should be aware of this bulletin: http://www.challengemachinery.com/p...s/PSB305001_Champion-Diamond_valves_Rev_A.pdf

After reading this, I am wondering why you wouldn't just replace the part, if you had that brand. They seem to talk about their older products, like they are complete junk. A cutter isn't that complicated of a machine, and for them to say they are useless, and have no value, after 22 years, seems un-realistic. Don't they know the vast number of these that are in use every day? Sounds like PR wrote this to smooth over things.

After reading this, I am wondering why you wouldn't just replace the part, if you had that brand. They seem to talk about their older products, like they are complete junk. A cutter isn't that complicated of a machine, and for them to say they are useless, and have no value, after 22 years, seems un-realistic. Don't they know the vast number of these that are in use every day? Sounds like PR wrote this to smooth over things.
I agree with you. We chose to replace the equipment only because we did use them heavily for a long time, and putting the money into repairs just didn't make sense for us. I couldn't even get a replacement keypad from Challenge for one of my cutters. But Challenge's method of handling this seems to be the new norm. I was told that Horizon will soon drop support for their BQ440 perfect binder, of which we own one.

After reviewing this thread . .. I would look at the used market or at auctions if your need is not immediate - you can get some great deals out there on smaller cutters, we got both of our Polars at auction and they just keep on cutting . . . and you could upgrade your current model to a programable back gauge with a micro cut . . . http://www.microcutsystems.com/products/ we have one and it works just fine.

As to the warning for the challenge . . . their lawyers wrote that to protect themselves. We have two old Kluges that Kluge will not even sell us parts for since OSHA has determined that they "are not safe" so by supplying parts they would be liable for any injuries . . . doesn't mean they are not good machines it just means that for a broken part you take the old part to a machinist and have him make you a new one . . . .

After reviewing this thread . .. I would look at the used market or at auctions if your need is not immediate - you can get some great deals out there on smaller cutters, we got both of our Polars at auction and they just keep on cutting . . . and you could upgrade your current model to a programable back gauge with a micro cut . . . http://www.microcutsystems.com/products/ we have one and it works just fine.

As to the warning for the challenge . . . their lawyers wrote that to protect themselves. We have two old Kluges that Kluge will not even sell us parts for since OSHA has determined that they "are not safe" so by supplying parts they would be liable for any injuries . . . doesn't mean they are not good machines it just means that for a broken part you take the old part to a machinist and have him make you a new one . . . .

Our 305 MPX is arriving Friday. I checked, and it is a year newer than the ones listed in the recall, so we should be safe from that. We won't know what to do with a powered back gauge and memory. lol

Our 305 MPX is arriving Friday. I checked, and it is a year newer than the ones listed in the recall, so we should be safe from that. We won't know what to do with a powered back gauge and memory. lol

Is there an Operator's Manual with the machine? It's should be stored inside the left side door pocket under the cutting table.
If you ever need to replace the hydraulic fluid, make sure you replace it with the correct spec as stated in the manual. It cost us dearly when a service person put in the wrong type of hydraulic fluid one time. We had to replace the motor assembly as the result.

Last edited:
"As to the warning for the challenge . . . their lawyers wrote that to protect themselves."

Unfortunately liability trumps common sense a lot these days. For us in particular, I was given the bulletin by a Challenge dealer when I asked about getting the replacement keypad. In the slim chance that an employee would have gotten injured on the cutter as a result of the failure outlined in the bulletin, once it was discovered that management knew about the issue and didn't follow the manufacturer's recommendations, could you imagine who's name would be on the sign out front as a result?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back