Cmyk standard for flexo

lzakelj

Hello everyone

Can someone tell me how to set a cmyk standard on flexo print machine using 12647-6 standard.

Is printing cmyk bellow dE5 a must have for c, y, m, k?

Right now im very far away from dE 5. Specialy black

Any help would be appriciated

Luka

You added a new thread post from your original on Nov 20?
The two topics are similar/related!
K is less important than CMY.
dE is only magnitude, not direction, (+/-L*). Are you too light or too dark?
Once you know that, do the basics with anilox (screen count, BCM volume), and ink viscosity.

You added a new thread post from your original on Nov 20?
The two topics are similar/related!
K is less important than CMY.
dE is only magnitude, not direction, (+/-L*). Are you too light or too dark?
Once you know that, do the basics with anilox (screen count, BCM volume), and ink viscosity.
Hello yes we are having issues on flexo regaeding adhesion specialy black. My opinion is that we have wrong standard in use for flexo. I think we need to take 12647-6 flexo standard lab velues then trying to get as close as possible to dE for each cmyk color then meassure density and that should be our new density aim for each cmyk color. Becouse now im like dE=22 compared to lab values from flexo standard in black and it is way to black in my opinion k should have been a little bit grayish not rich black. Im just a printer this is only my opinion. Now that we bought a new machine i think we need to do this. But our prepress guys it is ok even if dE for instance in black is 22 and L is only 12 while it should be close to 26. I think that if we would do that procedure we would
use lower aniloxes in the first place and maybe we wouldnt have those adhesion problems with black. Now that we have our standard based on offset 12647-2 we are with dE for black 1.55 everything is in centr almoste. But this is not offseet print. And also the standard for flexo doesnt mention density anywhere only this sentence" Density cannot tell you whether you have “good color.” If the ink hues are off, you may hit the densities, but the color will not match". I think the density is not imoprtant we might get density for black 1.4 once we meassure it. Maybe our prepress guy is wrong and that hiting the densitys from offset is wrong.

Last edited:
So now it sounds like your concern is not about color, matching a target aim, but is about a functional ink problem, adhesion and scratching?
You mentioned UV inks, what is your sequence order, is K down first or last?
K down first will give it more UV light exposure/curing.
How many hours on your UV lamps?
Is your substrate a clear or opaque film? Is it surface print of reverse print?

Yes we have adhesion problems. But it is probably becouse we use offset standard on flexo print machine. Our pharmacetical customer want us to print density of black between 1.75 to 2.1. That is to high for low migration uv inks. The ink suplyer says 1.7 is critical for black. But if we use flexo standard for blak the anilox is muche lower and adhesion is muche better but density is out of the customers requirements. My point is that if we go to flexo standard we would resolve muche problems with curing in the future and prepress should be adjusted. The print with low migration inks is a disciplne and we should start by importing flexo standard.
So now it sounds like your concern is not about color, matching a target aim, but is about a functional ink problem, adhesion and scratching?
You mentioned UV inks, what is your sequence order, is K down first or last?
K down first will give it more UV light exposure/curing.
How many hours on your UV lamps?
Is your substrate a clear or opaque film? Is it surface print of reverse prin

Last edited:
Yes we have adhesion problems. But it is probably becouse we use offset standard on flexo print machine. Our pharmacetical customer want us to print density of black between 1.75 to 2.1. That is to high for low migration uv inks. The ink suplyer says 1.7 is critical for black. But if we use flexo standard for blak the anilox is muche lower and adhesion is muche better but density is out of the customers requirements. My point is that if we go to flexo standard we would resolve muche problems with curing in the future and prepress should be adjusted. The print with low migration inks is a disciplne and we should start by importing flexo standard.

Fire your customer.

I would do that a long time ago 👍 that pharmaceutical company shouldnt teach printing houses on how to print. Personaly i think density range betwen 1.75 to 2.1 is way to high even for offset print.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back