Cockpit and Lion

Marko

Anyone try installing Prinect Cockpit (any version) on the preview of Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?

Seriously? Don't you think you are jumping the gun there? Plus you only can have the preview addition of Lion if you are a software developer..

p

And Apple developers are not supposed to talk about Development projects. At all. Apple is insanely strict about that.

Cockpit and Lion

And Apple developers are not supposed to talk about Development projects. At all. Apple is insanely strict about that.

Yeah and people are not supposed to drive over the speed limit-but it happens all the time...

Have you looked at the intertubes lately? I am seeing screenshots from Lion on just about every mac site out there. Isn't the common thought it will be out by end of summer-not much time there.

Just curious if the java situation on it will be causing me to have to upgrade Printready (to a new version that lacks anything compelling for me) or be stuck at 10.6.x on all my machines.

just saying.....

I am curious too, especially since I doubt Lion will ship with Java. Oracle is suppose to release their own version of Java for Mac, but will it happen on time and will it be ok?

Cockpit and LION

Cockpit and LION

I am curious too, especially since I doubt Lion will ship with Java. Oracle is suppose to release their own version of Java for Mac, but will it happen on time and will it be ok?

EXACTLY my concern!

I know I might insult Java lovers and Java developers, but in my opinion, Java might be great for big iron and server/client architecture but it's garbage for end users.
I think it is too complex and the only reason someone would code in Java is to save money on developing and maintaining cost of software (write once, Output many, meaning works on all platforms).
Maybe I am spoiled by Apple UI's but I would rather see native client on specific platform than Java garbage on multiple platforms and who cares if they look slightly different, as long as you utilize native UI.
Just my 2 cents.

p.s.
Who knows, maybe Oracle sees the light and make something out of it (I honestly doubt, but we'll see)

Apple doesn't write or patch java. They just preferred to have java updated using the software update tool. The situation may be better for end users to be able to patch/upgrade java when it is actually released instead of waiting for Apple to allow it to be patch. Which is the real reason they are not pushing it through software update.

But again this is all speculative until we know when 10.7 will be released, when prepress manager will run on it? I highly doubt much will be different for prepress manager between 10.6 and 10.7, just like it has been between 10.5 and 10.6. All the flashy new do dads don't amount to anything when you spend your time in a application.

Just wait and see.

p

Although Lion doesn't ship with a Java runtime, in that it is not installed by default, as soon as you try to install/run a Java app then a Java runtime will be downloaded.
I have run several Java apps in Lion with no problems (once the runtime has been downloaded)
Only issue I have had so far is that one of the Java apps required the portmap service to be running - as part of the removal of SAMBA for smb support it seems that portmap has also gone - at least in developer preview 2. Can't comment on the final release for obvious reasons.

re:Cockpit and Lion

Although Lion doesn't ship with a Java runtime, in that it is not installed by default, as soon as you try to install/run a Java app then a Java runtime will be downloaded.
I have run several Java apps in Lion with no problems (once the runtime has been downloaded)
Only issue I have had so far is that one of the Java apps required the portmap service to be running - as part of the removal of SAMBA for smb support it seems that portmap has also gone - at least in developer preview 2. Can't comment on the final release for obvious reasons.

Doesn't Cockpit require this service? Anyone for HUS care to comment-Tonk? We know you're out there.

Last edited:
Hi All,
We found a couple of manual changes from the automatic install:

After Cockpit installation, the Mac cannot establish any SMB connection. Solution: We configure the /etc/hostconfig with a HOSTNAME=... line during Cockpit installation - this line will cause trouble with Lion. Just remove this line from the /etc/hostconfig file and everything is fine again.

Java is not installed. No problem: If you are connected to the internet, the download starts automatically after starting the Cockpit installation. Or just open a Terminal before starting the Cockpit installation and type in "java -version", and the download starts.

If a firewall message box appears and asks you if the Cockpit is allowed to accept incoming connections, it is a good idea to allow the network access.

That's what we've found so far. Official Cockpit support for Lion will be with Prinect 2011 Service Release 1.

Jeff

Hi Jeff:

Any idea if Heidelberg is getting any closer to full Lion compatibility for Prinect/Printready prep front ends??

When is the release ETA approximately?? We're hoping to get our Macs updated and the new version of your front end in before winter's end this year.

Thanks

Tim

I've been using Lion for a while now and the only thing that is broken is Signa, interactive editing.
Every time you start signs, it pops up with message "PowerPC applications are not supported".
If you dismiss this message, Signa works just fine, but interactively it will not let you open the layout.
Cockpit works just fine.

This is my experience so far.
I hope this helps.

Hi Tim,

Prinect 2011 (planned to ship before the end of the year) is scheduled to have support for Lion. Reports from R&D are positive, and we will be loading it here in the states next week to begin testing. I expect we will know more in the next few weeks - but I'm feeling positive about this.

I'll keep you posted...Zoran - thanks for the input!

Jeff

Hi Tim,

Prinect 2011 (planned to ship before the end of the year) is scheduled to have support for Lion. Reports from R&D are positive, and we will be loading it here in the states next week to begin testing. I expect we will know more in the next few weeks - but I'm feeling positive about this.

I'll keep you posted...Zoran - thanks for the input!

Jeff

Any news on this Jeff?

Hi Guys,

The early release is out - and Lion support looks good! I am expecting the general Prinect 2011 release by the end of the month...Couple of weeks for us to do some testing here in the US, and we should be ready to start installing in Jan/Feb.

I've heard of no problems with Lion, and even support for Acrobat X is looking good.

Have a great Holiday!

Jeff

so I should have the 2011 updates by march or april 2012. ;-]

why dont they just call it prinect 2012

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back