Color management issue?

Erik,

Maybe. As I've thought of this, I seem to recall that small-format Fiery doesn't let you select rendering intents for CMYK -- I guess on the assumption that there's never going to be a large enough gamut shift to matter.

So if that's the case, then if you're only sending the RIP CMYK files, the issue would never come up.

Mike

there are differences between various rips as for the colour management settings and rendering intents in particular. in creo you can set RI (=rendering intent) both for cmyk and rgb input data, but regardless of the type (vector, text or raster). in xerox freeflow you can set RI independently for all three types of objects and colour models. in efi fiery RI can only be set for RGB input data.
at first the freeflow can seem to “the best”, but in fact in only makes it more probable that you set it up wrong and get unwanted output...
back to the original post/question: a good way (i almost wrote “the best”) to get consistent and reliable output starts with not mixing different colour models in the files. if this not the case, normalising should be done (all the mention rips can do it somehow, although something like gmg colorserver would be better – it can flatten transparencies for example), i.e. converting all the source colour models into a uniform model (in practice chosen “normalising colour space”), usually cmyk, but not necessarily, important thing is that all the objects or rather their colours are defined in the same way. and one last thing that should in fact always come first – check the files before setting the print parameters in rip and sending them to print.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back