Color Mapping / Packedge

I presently work with Packedge 10. We use Packedge to import Illustrator files and get them ready to be printed.

When the Illustrator file is imported in packedge everything is all right color wise.

But when I place this pdfscope file in a new document to proceed with our automated proof sheet workflow, some unregistered designer inks get mapped with other inks that have been used in other items (same color name but different color, previous color gets used).

From what I understand is that unregistered inks must be stored somewhere and referenced to when needed... But where is that ink database and how could I access it ?

And why does packedge access it when I placed a file in a new document and not when I import the Illustrator file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi MCC

I have some difficulties to understand your post, even if I have worked with PE since LW-Brix days..
To better understand your problem I wonder if you could give me some more info.
I also would like to comment on your workflow.
1st. don't use PE to import AI files. Use Illustrator to export Normalized Pdf's instead.
The plugin is freeware and can be downloaded here:
Free software - Esko

Packedge can use a central colour database or a local.
It depends on your setup and licenses.
To check where your colour database are located:
Open PE -> Help -> About
Scroll down to: "editors data resources"

To access your ink books:
open PE -> Paint -> open Ink Book

Just to confirm, do you place the normalized pdf document externally in another normalized pdf document using PackEdge?
This workflow is somewhat strange way of working i think. may i ask why this is done?
Is the second pdf a template with information panels etc?
Are you using Automation Engine for your automated proof WF?
if so you should have a look at reportmaker.
btw, are you familiar with smartmarks?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back