Color profile inconsistencies

am I entering in the values correctly? [/I]

One thing I noted in the instruction by John Nate was that he referred to entering "density" values when I think he meant to say "dot gain" values, or more correctly for this purpose, "dot area" values. The values you've entered (density) are being inferred as dot percentages by Photoshop...showing up as 12.6% dot gain at the 2% index, and only 3.5% dot gain at 50%. Wacky numbers indeed.

You'll want to measure the tone scale again, this time measuring dot area and entering dot area. If your device is reporting dot gain values, you'll want to add them to the index value. For example, you measure the 50% patch and your device reports 17%, you'll enter 67% in the field indicating 17% gain.

What is you dot gain at 50%?

I have the option of exporting Tab data, CSV, Cgats, and profile maker 5.

It seems to only export densities for perceptual and CMY , i'm not real familiar with this program.

One of the pressmen has a densitometer at home from an old shop going under, so i'll see if that can measure dot % .

I have the option of exporting Tab data, CSV, Cgats, and profile maker 5.

It seems to only export densities for perceptual and CMY , i'm not real familiar with this program.

One of the pressmen has a densitometer at home from an old shop going under, so i'll see if that can measure dot % .

I think John was referencing Colorport just for the target creation, not for actual measurement. Its possible that you could imnport the density values into Excel and than apply the Murray-Davies equation to calculate dotgain, but this is really turning into quite a project for the creation of a simple grayscale profile. All you really need is an idea of what your black dotgain is on press. Hopefully your pressman can get that data without too much trouble...otherwise, you may be doing a lot of customization for naught. ;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back