Color Variation

Erik Nikkanen

What I have thought was kind of funny, for many years, was that the stated aim for digital printing was to meet the quality of offset. I have to assume they were only talking about the quality of the static print and not the dynamic performance which has not been too good.

OK, digital printing systems are quite amazing but I would expect that with an advanced printing technology there should be very little variation. But what does one see. Some digital printing systems have inpress colour measurement systems to reduce variation. Look at Landa's press. I believe it has inpress measurements and a huge inspection table where adjustments can be made. That does not sound like advanced technology to me.

As I have said many times before, offset can be made to be more consistent than non variable digital printing and at low cost.

Who knows what other technologies will be available in the future. Xerox has been working on variable print lithography. They have many patents related to this but I don't know if they will find the right solution. Maybe someone else is working on some new printing concept that will change things. But what ever future technology is developed, I do think it needs to be inherently consistent.

Last edited:

gordo

Look at Landa's press. I believe it has inpress measurements and a huge inspection table where adjustments can be made. That does not sound like advanced technology to me.
Totally. What surprised me when I saw the original Landa press was how conventional the color controls were. How quaint.

Color Optimized?

Ink
by Noel Ward, Editor@Large
Color is in demand in all types of documents, making color management a critical part of Digital Printing 5.0. Managing color on one device/press can be an easy task with the correct tools and processes. But managing color to ensure printed pages are consistent and repeatable across the different substrates and color gamuts of toner and inkjet can be a much bigger challenge. Properly implemented color management workflows can help achieve consistent color results across multiple devices. Although many end-customers are claiming satisfaction with “pleasing color,” two challenges are still in play. Link to Article