Comparable proofing paper to GMG semiMatte 250

Jbarrie5

Hi PrintPlanet members,
My company is currently using GMG's semiMatte 250 on our Epson SureColor P9000 and getting great quality and good color matches. I have now been tasked to see if there exists any comparable proofing material that can deliver similar quality proofs while helping out on our pocketbook (less expensive)... any suggestions?

Thanks,
JB

Don't forget to take into consideration new profiles if you change the media. If you're using GMG Colorproof, you're likely getting great results because GMG makes it simple to calibrate with their media. If you try new paper, you'll have some profiling to do. If you're capable of doing this profiling in house, then a switch might be a good idea, especially if you're spending an arm and a leg on GMG paper (I know many people are).

I was going to suggest that you go to a proofing paper with higher OBA content in order to align better with the OBA content in many press stocks nowadays. Though you mention you are getting "great matches" as it is, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You would need an M1 capable measurement device and up to date lighting if you go the OBA route. Proofing paper with OBA content can be less expensive than non-OBA paper.

Don't forget to take into consideration new profiles if you change the media. If you're using GMG Colorproof, you're likely getting great results because GMG makes it simple to calibrate with their media. If you try new paper, you'll have some profiling to do. If you're capable of doing this profiling in house, then a switch might be a good idea, especially if you're spending an arm and a leg on GMG paper (I know many people are).

I was going to suggest that you go to a proofing paper with higher OBA content in order to align better with the OBA content in many press stocks nowadays. Though you mention you are getting "great matches" as it is, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You would need an M1 capable measurement device and up to date lighting if you go the OBA route. Proofing paper with OBA content can be less expensive than non-OBA paper.

Excellent points NathanD. Sometimes it is possible to “drop in” a different media and re-calibrate to the new media and the existing colour profiles will deliver nearly the same results, however this is generally the exception rather than the norm (however I have seen it happen before). So first just try replacing the media if it has a very similar white point/weight/surface finish – then re-align the inline spectro to the new paper white point and re-calibrate and see if the new cal passes or fails. If it passes, then test with the old profiles and settings to see if it passes colour bar measurement certification “as is”. Otherwise you will need to setup a brand new calibration/linearisation and profiles specific to the new media.

New specifications such as Fogra51 target a very specific white point that results from a “targeted” OBA content, so media may have to be specially manufactured to meet this whitepoint/OBA combination which will not make them significantly cheaper than “cheap” stock that naturally has much higher OBA counts.

Stephen Marsh

Epson has a new proofing paper that has "targeted" OBA content - a 44 inch x 100 foot roll is their part number S450201 and it sells for about $150.00, which seems to be substantially less than the GMG stuff. Maybe getting a small roll and trying it might be a good idea (a 17 inch roll is about 70.00).

Tony

Most of the European-originated proofing papers come from Tecco. Eg. they produce the paper for EFI, but I do know that they supply to many similar smallish proofing brands, too. You can't go wrong with their products.

http://tecco.eu/de/efi-papiere/

Epson has a new proofing paper that has "targeted" OBA content - a 44 inch x 100 foot roll is their part number S450201 and it sells for about $150.00, which seems to be substantially less than the GMG stuff. Maybe getting a small roll and trying it might be a good idea (a 17 inch roll is about 70.00).

Tony

It appears that the GMG paper has two versions, both with and without OBA’s:
GMG ProofPaper semimatte 250
GMG ProofPaper semimatte 250 OBA​

Just as CGS has two versions:
ORIS PearlPROOF Super 240
ORIS PearlPROOF OBA Semimatte 250​

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back