Compressable blanket rejuvenators

thos423

What is the best blanket rejuvenator being used in the pressrooms today. Also, what is the best method. Due to cost cutting and control we would like to reduce out compressable blanket usage by implementing better rejuvenation of worn and slightly smashed blankets. Any input will be appreciated.

Back in the old Harris days, we used something called PBR(permanent blanket
repair). You just rub it in to the back of the entire blanket. We also used Varn
Step 1. These worked pretty good, unless you've got a serious smash and the outer
surface of your blanket is torn.

Saving Blankets

Saving Blankets

Hello, Saving Compressible Blankets,

1) Clean Blanket Face with Blanket wash

2) Place the entire blanket in a container of water, and soak it for a few days (adding a little wetting agent, helps)

3) Remove blanket and hang by the clamp bar and let it dry thoroughly (any waviness will pull out when stretched around Cylinder)

Regards, Alois

ill have to second varn pbr. great stuff! other less good on press options are grease behind the smash, or if you have 50 sheets to go, hold a cigarette lighter near the surface and heat it up. dont burn it! just warm it and it will swell enough to do 30 or so impressions. found this out end of week, and i really didnt want to change a blanket at that point:D

ill have to second varn pbr. great stuff! other less good on press options are grease behind the smash, or if you have 50 sheets to go, hold a cigarette lighter near the surface and heat it up. dont burn it! just warm it and it will swell enough to do 30 or so impressions. found this out end of week, and i really didnt want to change a blanket at that point:D

Left the blanket change to the next guy eh? I followed your sort LOL.

I was gonna say just take a rag soaked in good old fashion type wash and lay it on the blanket smash for a couple of minutes. She'll produce quite a few impressions after that.

Nitromors paint stripper will swell just about any blanket, leave for a minute then wash off with warm water.

Ancient fix, not mine, i was taught it over 30 years ago.

Left the blanket change to the next guy eh? I followed your sort LOL.

i said end of week! so only left for myself. i make a point of leaving machines in very good condition. cleaned properly and as found etc. I myself follow some lazy types who will wipe the back cylinders for example, but not acutally CLEAN them, leaving behind the whitish calcium paper coating. Which then i suspect works its way back to the plate and rollers, and thats why we get insane amounts of calcium on the ends. These are also the same guys who are the first to bitch and moan if one of their gloves are out of place lol

Paint strippers work but are temporary and it swells the blanket too much, not good for printing screens. Varn's PBR is the best blanket fix. The key to that as well is to put new packing under the blanket, rub some PBR on the back of the blanket and your good to go.
dt

Compressible Blanket rejuvenators

Compressible Blanket rejuvenators

Thanks to all that gave valuable input. We are going to try the PBR product in our pressroom as well as look at others provided.:)

Blankets

Blankets

Before you get to the point where the blanket is usless, keep it clean and free of paper lint and ink buidup. Our Nova's SP155 is excelent to restore them, the problem with the blanket fixe's we used to know for the last 20 years, is that the nasty stuff to make them will be no longer available.

Jose Colon
Senior Technical Sales Latin America & The Caribbean
[email protected]

You may consider starting at the core of the problem by trying a blanket with better smash resistance. There are several new and inovative design technologies to make a blanket more resistant to sinking and smashing. You may be able to reduce consumption by up to 40% by simply using a blanket with better smash and edge cutting resistance and then train your staff on how a blanket smashes and how to properly repair it.

Due to the transfer of force a blanket smashes from the cylinder up. First the packing, then the load bearing fabrics, then the compressible layer, than the top ply and finaly with a good hit the top compound will fracture then the blanket will need to be replaced.

So you can put any strong polar solvent on the top compound and it will (temporarly) swell the rubber in the exposed area. But it is not what smashes and the low spot will certainly reapear in a future job and the dot gains will be different in that area until then. The packing, load bearing fabric, and compressible layer need to be repaired to fix a low spot, no special products are required at all.

Let me know if you would like to discuss further.

Both PBR and a little paint stripper are good solutions, also try a small patch between the packing and the blanket, usually tissue paper or maybe some 80gsm bond or heavier if your desperate :) Bear in mind it will show up in screens, but if its a bingle in an area thats carrying a solid, patching a blanket will get you out of trouble :)

I just love following a shift that dings blankets and simply winds up the pressure and leaves it....cop it all the time..... just love that "Unit 1 hard o/t" message on the console meaning you are on maximum impression...and you are running on 200gsm board...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back