Convert PDF to grayscale

T

What's or how is the easiest, most reliable, good monochromatic color conversion process in Acrobat 9?

From 4 color + spots to all grayscale?

T

I've been using the Acrobat Print tools, convert to profile since version 7.
Just make sure you have no OPI images or they won't convert properly.

I'm slow...

I've tried the convert to profile and I don't have any luck with all converting correctly. Do you use a custom profile? I've just been using the provided profile that came loaded with Acrobat 9. I can get the images to work or the Vector to work but never both together, very well, anyway.

What's or how is the easiest, most reliable, good monochromatic color conversion process in Acrobat 9?

From 4 color + spots to all grayscale?

Advanced->Print Production->Convert Colors
Choose a gray profile that you're happy with from the "Conversion Profile" popup. Any of the Dot Gain XX% are quite good.
Click OK.

That's all you need do.

4-color to gray

4-color to gray

Advanced->Print Production->Convert Colors
Choose a gray profile that you're happy with from the "Conversion Profile" popup. Any of the Dot Gain XX% are quite good.
Click OK.

That's all you need do.

I tried this and all I could get was 4 color gray. Anyone know how to get black only?

If you have a gray that has a profile it will be colour managed. I am not sure that you will get pure gray until you either promote the gray to DeviceN gray or DeviceK.

Convert to Greyscale

Convert to Greyscale

My prefered method is to use the QUITE suite of plug-ins.

QUITE a BOX of TRICK does this at the click of a button - you even get the option to use an ICC profile.

The same software is also excellent for converting from RGB colour space into CMYK.

Off track slightly but do many others of you use the QUITE plug-ins for Acrobat?

I use them on a daily basis and could not imagine life without them!!

If you got 4c, then you did not use a grayscale profile.

Actually Rich, I've encountered many times where I use Convert Colors, starting with CMYK, choose the grayscale profile, and get CMYK elements in the result. Both when checking Preserve Black or not.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Don

We use Box of Tricks all the time. RGB gone is very handy. My only complaint about the greyscale conversion is the amount of gain on a PC. Converting all text to black is also nice. Especially for those documents where the black text is a mixture of auto, spot black, rich black, and real black.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back