Converting to Destination in ID

@Stephen Could be I'm burnt on past experience, that has been remedied since. The problem with a "scalpel" is that it's only useful if you go into "surgery". Yes it does have more tools to fix problems… just prefer not to cause the problems in the first place :)

The problem with a "scalpel" is that it's only useful if you go into "surgery". Yes it does have more tools to fix problems… just prefer not to cause the problems in the first place :)

Agreed Lukas. That has been the point of my posts. If there are RGB black vectors/text in the InDesign file, then a colour conversion in InDesign will create a CMYK rich black. This generally takes more work to fix downstream, as one may have to build a fix/action list or similar to specifically address the rich black build without affecting other elements that may have a similar rich black build. To me, this is creating a problem, a problem that is easily solved by simply leaving the RGB text/vectors as RGB. Simply leaving the colour as is in InDesign and exporting with RGB/CMYK into PDF, it is a very easy process to convert the RGB black text to K only text with the “preserve blacks” checkbox.

If the InDesign file only has RGB rasters, then this is not an issue.

There are no right or wrong answers, as Magnus points out, in the overall scheme of things, he prefers to deal with rich black text/vectors over dealing with RGB text/vectors. To each their own.

Stephen Marsh

I have also tried to wrap my head around colour management in ID and AI etc…

Let me know if this correct - it's the way I've been doing it for years and so far I havn't had any major problems…

Before I start the artwork I will ask my printer what profile they use etc … and setup my colour profiles etc before I start … I work with a calibrated screen so I sort of have a vague (but still better then non-calibrated) idea of colour… anything I draw I will be done in CMYK - using pantone guides and Pantone to CMYK bridge guides etc … Bitmaps I used to convert to CMYK when I used coral draw years ago before importing them - but I have found that simply placing a raster image - choosing edit>colour>convert to CMYK and exporting the artwork without conversion but including/embedding the profile seems to work really well…

The reason I ask is because this is how have been doing it but often feel like I'm not 100% why I'm doing it or why it's right/wrong - Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe some pre-press guy swears every time I send him a file…?

John you are Ok to work that way, only remember CMYK is device specific. This means as long as your pantone Guide is for the same print condition as your printer it will be fine. A good example is to look at a colour like Pantone 116 on coated and uncoated paper. Compare the swatches, compare the colours.

AFAIK, the Pantone Bridge split spot/CMYK guides do not match common printing conditions such as ISO Coated or GRACoL. They are useful to indicate out of gamut issues and for a rough colour representation that may or may not come close to your output conditions. A colour managed inkjet proof will likely do better.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back