copy and paste image from one Indesign document to another

slmiller

I have two Indesign documents with the exact same size box drawn in them. The first document has an image placed in it and is cropped into position as I like it. The second Indesign document has the exact same size box without an image placed in it. I want to be able to copy the image from the first document and paste it into the second document box that is the same size and have it automatically placed with the same cropping. The reason I'm asking this question is that I have hundreds of images that need to be placed this way and it would take hours to paste into the second document box then move the image to the correct cropping manually.

Any ideas would save me lots. Thanks!

Copy the whole thing, the frame and whats in it, then use command shift v to paste it in the same position in the new document.

As mentioned earlier, copy from first document, and then paste in place (cmd+option+shift V on a Mac) to retain size, position.

Not sure if this will apply to your situation but you can also place an InDesign document inside another InDesign document. All the usual import options are available and you can automate the process (importing multi-page PDF) using a built-in script or download a more customizable script from InDesign Exchange. The good thing about this is if the first document changes, the second document gets updated as well. But like I said, this may not work for you if there are other elements on the page in the first document that you do not want to place into the second document.

If you really really want to use the box from the new document but the image from the first document, you can click the picture on the first document with the white arrow, copy, and then switch to the black arrow, go in the 2nd document and choose : paste into while having the box clicked with the black arrow.

You can also use Indesign snippets to do this, especially if you have the same group of objects that need to be placed over and over. Just drag the objects out of Indesign to your desktop or another folder. Then Drag them into the other Indesign file and hold down the option key. The object(s) will copy into the new file in the same position as the original.

Shawn

Sometimes it's easier to copy the text from the non-image doc into the image doc and put it on a sep. layer. Then you have it all in one place.
Just depends on which is easier to do, like if you have less text boxes than you have images.

Is there any reason you are using 2 ID docs instead of one with multiple pages? The reason I as is because you can use Paste In Place as mentioned but also if you are doing many pages/docs with similar layout elements you can use the master pages instead.

Is there any reason you are using 2 ID docs instead of one with multiple pages? The reason I as is because you can use Paste In Place as mentioned but also if you are doing many pages/docs with similar layout elements you can use the master pages instead.
Or use layers for versioning. I think there is even a versions feature in ID, at least CS4. Never used it though.

It's funny how there's so many solutions to practically everything. I was going through all of these suggestions in my head right before reading through. :)

Or use layers for versioning. I think there is even a versions feature in ID, at least CS4. Never used it though.

It's funny how there's so many solutions to practically everything. I was going through all of these suggestions in my head right before reading through. :)

Aye, exactly. This why forums like this are so good! I find user to user sites better than official forums.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back