Could use all of your help

Jimbo

Hi all! I've got a question for you all and am hoping for lots of answers. Sorry but the question needs to begin with a short explanation of my problem.

I'm a pressman and have been printing 6 color work for 14 years. I worked in a large no nonsense, no f**k ups allowed commercial print shop for 6 of those years. It became an RRDonnelly company in I think 2005. One thing I liked about it is absolutely nothing came to press without the prepress manager over looking every job before being plated and the secondary manager double checking plates before going to press. So, when I got my plates there was minimal double checking anything against the proof (but you always do) and my primary job was color. I could go on but that's the premise of what I need info.

Anywhoo, I've since moved on from the pressure of that large commercial print scene. I've taken a job in a small print shop which was primarily four color digital work and two color press work ie: business cards, forms etc. They just bought their first four color press and hired me to run it. The problem is the "prepress" department literally knows nothing about setting up four color jobs for the press. They are used to just seeing it on the computer screen and sending it to the digital printer. Now I come along and have all these demands of which they don't know how to do or don't know what I'm talking about.

They color separate what they have on their computer directly to my plate maker without taking into consideration that on the press things need to fit along with other basic lay out procedures to minimize press issues. They actually think it's just another color copier. Countless times I have to go in and ask them to 'spread this' or why is this the knocked out? And they look at me like 'how do I fix that?'. I brought out a flashy new term for them. I used the term half tone and the two looked at me like "what's that?". I was floored after that and began thinking I need to help these people make mine and their job easier. Not to mention save on plate remakes.

As I stated I've only run presses and have little knowledge of the prepress department. So as of right now I'm of little help to them.

Are there any resources out there, short of going back to school, that could help educate me and maybe pass on to them to maximize production and keep work flow moving smoothly?

Thank you to anyone who read that whole thing and Thank you for any suggestions:)

Hi Jimbo, I personnaly think that your shop's problem is too urgent to consider fixing it on the long term with just courses. Theorical knowledge alone is not enough, you also need experience. What you need is a litho-experienced prepress operator that would not only fix most of your problems right away, but would also train actual operators on a daily base and help you establish procedures for the 4 color press work. Good luck.

Last edited:
The owners should have done their research before they even bought the press to make sure the prepress department could meet the needs of the new press. Shame on them for overlooking this important detail.

cart + horse = management

Talk to your vendors. They will know of someone or have people on staff who can help. Depending on the time involved, you're shop will have to pay for the training. However, it will probably cost a lot less than the waste and lost time involved with the by-the-job training you're doing now..

Yup, I agree. time for some training. Funny thing about that; no one wants to pay for consulting or training before it's an emergency/critical/important/euphemism goes here . Teaching the software is the easy part, teaching what and why things are important is an entirely different matter that most trainers can't deal with.

As someone who has installed and trained many users on ctf and ctp, It amazes me both that many small shops have very limited knowledge of how to setup and output jobs properly. One of the most common examples is I go into a shop and they running Adobe CS and do the layout exclusively in illustrator. Many times the artists will look at me strange if I suggest a better way.

Trapping.org

Trapping.org

We have attempted to put a good bit of information to help explain the basics of trapping on our website:
Trapping Tips
This page ranks very high when searching terms for print trapping. There is a good bit of info about trapping that you might find helpful.

If I can help answer any questions I would be glad to, I've personally worked on trapping solutions since the late 80's.

Thanks
David Lewis
Lucid Dream Software

Your best bet would be to hire someone with experience rather than to train someone. The amount of info that can come with someone who has walked the walk - actually knows why something is trapped, why you need creep, what a compensator bar is, etc etc is invaluable.

I agree with Hansman. Hire a knowledgeable prepress person and then let them train the others in the department. That will be the only way that you'll be able to quickly get out of the mess that they have created by not understanding the printing process.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back