Could you tell me how to create a CTP calibration curve?

Bloodsaler

I`m a student in school,now I`m doing my graduation project。The film density in our school factory only up to 3.2.It`s too low! So I decide to create the printplate with CTP.But the Ctp machine in our school doesn`t have a correct curve.So in order to make the standard plate,I should adjust the curve in out CTP system.Could you tell me how to create that curve?

I`ve already known the linearization steps of CTP machine,but the printer curve I don`t know how to get.And then how to create a correct CTP curve?

Thats how it goes

Thats how it goes

You have to create a wedge (5%,10%,.....) send this to your ctp.
measure each filed and adjust it in your rip.
If you can't measure it, the only thing you can do, is to look at the 50% field. it has to be perfect squares

Did your teacher tell you - boy, it's a nightmare and headache if you try to adjust Calibration Curve to the press at you plant to compensate a specific dotgain of that press ?
Another pressman with his own skills, another stack of paper, another room environment - you will loose all you tried to adjust!
And the QQQ - who is guilty?
You are, man!
So... try to produce IDEAL plate with exact dot reading with the Densitometer for plate: from 1% to 99% and of couse, proper exposure level to achieve that result!
Calibration procedure is the same as for film output but with another type of measuring tool.
Nobody has declared 0% Dotgain as a standart of print production.
Let the pressman keeps Dotgain within the spec, he has to know how to do that!
Sure, every Press (especially old Press) has its own dotgain and basic printer books have chapters how to measure that curve.
Your task is - to embed that curve in your workflow (or Photoshop for example) to see on the monitor the picture closer to printed sheet of paper and to make it closer to Customer's demands.
But your CTP should be Linear!

Last edited:
[SNIP]
Let the pressman keeps Dotgain within the spec, he has to know how to do that!
Sure, every Press (especially old Press) has its own dotgain and basic printer books have chapters how to measure that curve.
Your task is - to embed that curve in your workflow (or Photoshop for example) to see on the monitor the picture closer to printed sheet of paper and to make it closer to Customer's demands.
But your CTP should be Linear!

I cannot agree that your CtP should be linear. In fact it is more than likely a curve will need to be applied to the plate.
The press should be printing to a standard. That standard should define the expected tone % on the press sheet at various tone values - not the dot gain. A curve would then be applied to the plate to bring the press tone values to match the standard.
Very briefly:
1) Have a target tonality for your presswork
2) Run uncalibrated plates to target densities
3) Measure tonal response
4) Use tone response to build tone compensation curves that will be used when imaging plates
5) Run a confirmation form on press

The basics are illustrated here (for printing at high SIDs but the principle is the same)
Quality In Print: Printing at DMaxx - part 3 of 5

best, gordon p

We did not understand each other, Gordo :)
Printshop/plant has a few presses for instance, even worse - web and sheet-feed presses...
Pressman and prepress operator have to control their production, and (for instance) prepress controlled 50% grid on the calibration target below the page/image plates.
Does he read 50% on plate target or less after Compensation curve embeded into the RIP?
And if he produces plates for 4-5 presses per shift?

Last edited:
The CTP machine doesn`t linearized,but it is a new machine .I use ICPlate measured the dot gain.The data is:100%=99.4%,95%=94.4%,90%=90.1%,85%=84.7%,80%=79.7%,75%=74.5%,65%=64.8%,60%=59.4%,55%=54.1,45%43.9%,40%=38.7%,35%=32.8%,30%=27.9%,25%=23%,20%=18.1%,15%=13.2,10%=9.2%,5%=4.1%,1%=0.7%.
Dose the data standard?If I use these set of plates,can I get a standard result?(after Adjusting the right pleasure,density)

The CTP machine doesn`t linearized,but it is a new machine .I use ICPlate measured the dot gain.The data is:100%=99.4%,95%=94.4%,90%=90.1%,85%=84.7%,80%=79.7%,75%=74.5%,65%=64.8%,60%=59.4%,55%=54.1,45%43.9%,40%=38.7%,35%=32.8%,30%=27.9%,25%=23%,20%=18.1%,15%=13.2,10%=9.2%,5%=4.1%,1%=0.7%.
Dose the data standard?If I use these set of plates,can I get a standard result?(after Adjusting the right pleasure,density)

It is within specifications, but :
- a slight drop around 35 percent ... I wouldn't bother correcting further,
- is the 100 percent patch indeed solid when viewed with a loupe ? If it's perfectly solid, then put your ICPlate on a reference solid patch and measure again.
I totally agree with VladCanada's suggestions, a plate which is linear and consistent day after day is enough for good quality production, provided that your pressmen have a good knowledge of the offset machine and don't make mistakes. You can build a calibration curve in the RIP if you want, but it's ok to leave it as it is. You must define exactly what you want. Feeding back information from press into earlier stages i.e. RIP to obtain a press/tone curve can open a pandora's box for the inexperienced, running a press by the numbers is difficult in itself if you cannot perfectly control all variables.

The Pressman printed my job.But during the printing,I found a big problem.The density of the printed matter is too low.Especially the magenta and cyan parts.But when the pressman tried his best to put the density into the right level,the color of the matter beccome strange!It doesn`t look like what it is!So I confused,I`m wondering how it happens?Should I calibrate my CTP plate in the workflow?Cut down the actural dot area in CTP in order to compensate the dot gain in press?

My workflow is Prinect META,Should i do calibration in the calibration manager?and how to do it?

I struggled with this a lot when I was learning how to do it at first. Like Gordo mentioned, i decided that the pressman should print to a certain standard. I picked fogra. Fogra specifies ink densities and dot gains for half tones; for example 50% cyan halftone should read as 65% on paper. Note that the inks should be ISO 12647-2 certified. So I create a linear plate with half tones ranging from 0 to 100 for the 4 process colors where each half tone reads as it should be; for example 50% should read 50% on plate, and you need a device like spectroplate to measure on plate. Then I print the patches to the standard densities, and wait till the papers dry. I take a sheet and read the dot gain in the half tone patches and see what my gains are. So if for 50 i get 70, i use the 70 in my compensation curve at the rip station so that the rip compensates for the extra gain that is out of the standard, which in my case is 5 since my standard says that a 50% half tone should be 65% so 70 - 65 = 5.

Just to be clear, you do NOT need to start with linear plates - they can be uncalibrated.* What's important is that they are consistent.

1) Have a target tonality for your presswork (FOGRA, SWOP, GRACoL, etc.) This does NOT mean a target dot gain. This means a target tone value. E.g. if the specification says that a 50% tone request should measure 65% in the presswork or if it says that you should have 15% dot gain at 50%, that does NOT mean you should target a dot gain of 15%. It means that a 50% request in the file should result in a measured 65% on the press sheet at whatever gains are needed to get there. It is the final tonality that's important - not the specific dot gain.
2) Run uncalibrated plates to target densities. You can linearize if you want, but that just adds complication with no benefit*
3) Measure tonal response on (dry) press sheet at appropriate SIDd
4) Use tone press sheet response to build tone compensation curves that will be used when imaging plates
5) Build curves - see Quality In Print: Printing at DMaxx - part 4 of 5 which explains building curves. Simply subtracting a value is not correct. E.g. target 65%, actual 70%, 70% minus 5% will not give you 65%
6) Run a confirmation form on press

* From the GRACoL how to: "5.7 Pre-adjust the plate-making system at 50% (optional)
If possible, adjust the CtP exposing unit’s focus, exposure energy, or other physical parameters
(including plate development) until a 50% file value measures 50% on plate. CAUTION: Do not adjust
the CtP calibration curves to achieve this condition unless delta calibration values can be added to the
pre-calibration values after the calibration run. (This is easier in some RIPs than others.)
Note that it is usually simpler to leave the CtP system in a completely un-calibrated state for the first run,
even if 50% does not measure exactly 50% on plate."

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print current topic: printing in the movies

Reactions: hta
dot gain and plate

dot gain and plate

Gordo, does that mean we do not have to adjust dot gain for plate and press? In my rip, harelquin, there are fields to input the intended and outputed results so that the rip compensates. Currently i have values added to linearize plates just in case i want to use a different plate, and so that i can control quality every day by exposing a plate and doing some fine tuning IF necessary. I also have added the intended dot gain for my presses and then entered the gains after printing and measuring DRY paper. So the gain for each press was added. What's confusing is that according to latest standards TVI, tone value increase is used instead of dot gain, and I am not sure if my INTENDED numbers need to go in a tone curve instead. I've been using xrite spectroeye to read dotgain off paper. How do you read TVI, do you have to read lab values then convert to profile cmyk?
I have attached a screenshot of the PageSetup.

PageSetup.jpg

Last edited:
Gordo, does that mean we do not have to adjust dot gain for plate and press? In my rip, harelquin, there are fields to input the intended and outputed results so that the rip compensates. Currently i have values added to linearize plates just in case i want to use a different plate, and so that i can control quality every day by exposing a plate and doing some fine tuning IF necessary. I also have added the intended dot gain for my presses and then entered the gains after printing and measuring DRY paper. So the gain for each press was added. What's confusing is that according to latest standards TVI, tone value increase is used instead of dot gain, and I am not sure if my INTENDED numbers need to go in a tone curve instead. I've been using xrite spectroeye to read dotgain off paper. How do you read TVI, do you have to read lab values then convert to profile cmyk?

Dot gain and TVI are the same thing and they are measured the same way. TVI is just a more accurate way of describing what's going on.
I don't know what your harlequin is doing with the data that you enter - I suspect it may be creating some kind of dot gain curve. I don't know.

Maybe look at the issue from another angle.
Say I tell you that I want you to print at the ISO specification - i.e. your target is 15% dot gain/TVI. (i.e. at 50% you get 15% dot gain).
Now, what if you're printing with 20 micron FM. With a linear plate you'll get perhaps 30% gain. There is no way for you to get 15% dot gain/TVI. If you apply a curve to the plate, you will still not get 15% dot gain/TVI.
However, if instead I told you that the target was a 65% tone on press where a 50% tone was requested, then there is no problem. You create a curve for the plate that maps a 50% request to whatever tone on plate creates a 65% tone on press.

If you first linearize your plates with a curve then you will be using 2 curves (one to linearize and the other to change the tonal response on press). Using two curves on top of one another adds complexity (and potential for error) for no benefit. Perhaps you could be even be using a plate curve but need to hit a new standard. At that point you could conceivably be using 3 curves - one to linearize, one on top of that to achieve your current standard and another one on top of those to hit the new standard. This is likely why GRACoL suggested that you don't bother. It's natural to think you should, after all in the film days that was standard practice since linear film was the defacto file interchange format. But with CtP it is not needed.

If you apply a curve to the plate that makes the plate linear, and that allows you to hit the target tones (not dot gain/TVI) on press then your linearizing curve is effectively a dot gain/TVI compensation curve.
If that is the set up that works and you now what to change parameters, e.g. different substrates, different SIDs, different press, different plate type, you would run an uncalibrated (likely non-linear) plate and check its tonal response compared with your standard. You would then create a single tone curve to bring your uncalibrated plate press response in line with your existing calibrated press response.

If, out of the box, your plate imaging is not consistent, i.e. 50% is sometimes 47% and sometimes 55% you won't have a stable enough system on which to build any curves - including linearization curves. Unless you are wanting to create linearization curves for every plate or batch of plates or state of the chemistry.

You are certainly correct in measuring dry paper/ink. Typically the press operator does not measure dot gain/TVI - just SIDs (that's another thread though) since he has basically no controls for dot gain/TVI on the press. However, if at the press dot gain/TVI is for some reason measured (perhaps in a closed loop press control system) and the measurements are of wet densities (i.e. no coatings) then you need to adjust targets based on the effect of dryback.

best, gordon p

We did not understand each other, Gordo :)
Printshop/plant has a few presses for instance, even worse - web and sheet-feed presses...
Pressman and prepress operator have to control their production, and (for instance) prepress controlled 50% grid on the calibration target below the page/image plates.
Does he read 50% on plate target or less after Compensation curve embeded into the RIP?
And if he produces plates for 4-5 presses per shift?

Correct me if I misunderstand, but it appears you're saying that you do not compensate your plates toward any standard tonality via dot gain curves, but rather make this adjustment to the files (for specific presses) in photoshop for the benefit of keeping all plates measuring the same no matter what press they are destined for?

This can be done,but it simply moves the compensation upstream and binds the job to a particular output early on. Many would find it easier to maintain separate Workflows at the time of plating...allowing the plate department a means to verify that the files are compensated correctly for a particular press.
If your saying that files are both prepped and plated identically, you leave it to chance that output between presses is consistent with each other...quite likely not the case.

I have a reason to linearize a plate setter before building curves. We have had times over the years that the platesetter has had some repairs such as new laser head. If I could relinearize and put my output curve with that I was able to output the plates that were backlogged from the platesetter being down for a period. This has saved me many hurried press tests before we could plate. Then we can go back to checking curves later. Just a thought.

I have a reason to linearize a plate setter before building curves. We have had times over the years that the platesetter has had some repairs such as new laser head. If I could relinearize and put my output curve with that I was able to output the plates that were backlogged from the platesetter being down for a period. This has saved me many hurried press tests before we could plate. Then we can go back to checking curves later. Just a thought.

That sounds like a good reason, however, in my experience plate/CtP devices result in a characteristic non-linear tone response when plates are imaged uncalibrated. So even when the laser is replaced the difference between old and new plate output is insignificant. I.e. the tones will still be within +/- 1% or so of the original. So you wouldn't have to press test. You'd simply measure the uncalibrated plates, once the technician has finished setting up the device, to confirm that the plate output has a similar uncalibrated output to your previous plates.

best, gordon p

Reactions: hta
If you are currently using film, you could measure a 1%-99% scale of a correctly made plate and transfer those numbers to the new CTP system.
All separations are created in Photoshop with a 20% midtone gain. This means that the 50% patch should print as 70% on press. If you print with 15% gain, you print 'sharper'. If you print with 24% gain you print 'heavier'.

To print correctly, you need to adjust each color Y-M-C-K to create gray balance throughout the tone scale at the correct density or Lab value.
Please feel free to call me for more information.
I am a former GATF consultant, helping anyone who calls. . . .
cell 412.889.7643 "google me".
Dan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back