Covert Fills to 0.5pt Strokes with ESKO AutomationEngine

chevalier

I have a very odd request. I haven't worked in Pitstop in years but I am trying to create an action list for ESKO AutomationEngine. I'm getting less than desirable CAD files from a non-ESKO CAD system in PDF/Ai format for folding cartons. I'm trying to optimize them with AutomationEngine (remap colors, etc.) and I'm getting objects assigned a fill that I want to convert to strokes. Does anyone have advice?

Sample file attached. What I am trying to do:
  1. Select the items stroked with color at 0pt and make them stroked 0.5pt
  2. Map color "Dimension" to color "Annotation"
  3. Select all objects without strokes, eliminate fill and stroke 0.5pt
  4. Save PDF

Attachments

• test.pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 212
Chevalier, two alternative points for consideration:

1) A CAD file format may be a better exchange format between two CAD packages than AI/PDF file format, perhaps the less than ideal results are due to using AI/PDF.

2) In the case of the mapping of palette colours, this should be possible upstream, an export preset could be created to export the palette colour names as you require (although if you have no control or contact with the upstream creator there is not much which can be done).

I would be happy to try to help with the Arden Impact CAD side of things, send me a private message if you would like to explore the upstream options.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Chevalier, in your sample file, the only fills that I am finding are the text label dimensions - is this correct? You wish for the text labels to no longer be filled and to only have a 0.5pt stroke?

Stephen Marsh

Stephen Marsh said:
1) A CAD file format may be a better exchange format between two CAD packages than AI/PDF file format, perhaps the less than ideal results are due to using AI/PDF.

I've experimented with DXF/DWG, etc. The PDF export is by far the easiest for us to work with. The various reformatting that I need to do is most easily automated with files that the prepress tools at my disposal can deal with. (AutomationEngine, etc.)

Stephen Marsh said:
2) In the case of the mapping of palette colours, this should be possible upstream, an export preset could be created to export the palette colour names as you require (although if you have no control or contact with the upstream creator there is not much which can be done). I would be happy to try to help with the Arden Impact CAD side of things, send me a private message if you would like to explore the upstream options.

You are correct that I am working with Arden Impact CAD. There is basically zero functionality in mapping palettes on export. With extreme patience I explained repeatedly to Arden that the palette mapping functionality in the plot dialog needs to be added to the export dialog and expanded upon there. This might be paraphrasing but "I don't see that happening" was the response I got. I'll be in contact via pm. Perhaps you have a script of some sort to get around this?

Stephen Marsh said:
Chevalier, in your sample file, the only fills that I am finding are the text label dimensions - is this correct? You wish for the text labels to no longer be filled and to only have a 0.5pt stroke?

That is correct. I also want the lines of the die line with 0pt strokes to be 0.5pt. I found a (extremely painful) way to do this with the export dialog in Impact which consists of setting up export configuration for every single line type.

On Arden
To be honest Arden don't seem the least bit keen to work with me to achieve what I am trying to achieve. ESKO truly is a four letter word with them. They don't seem to give a damn about what happens downstream on the prepress side and only on the die production side. If I were the decision maker at my company I am at the point where I would make the very painful call to move to ArtiosCAD. We have a lot more to gain by switching than we have to loose. That is not to say that I feel Artios is better than Impact as a CAD application.

On ESKO
Taking the above into consideration this is a two way street with Arden and ESKO. I have reached out to them as well towards making a way to convert files from Impact into ARD without a full fledged ArtiosCAD install. They provided no help at all. I reached out to other friendly companies that I knew have ESKO Prepress and Arden CAD. I found in every single instance a lot of manual rework on the prepress side and in once instance the prepress department had its own parallel Artios CAD system.

On work-arounds
Being tenacious and persistent I went out and got a demo copy of studio for Illustrator and created a work around. It's manual as all get-out but in general it works and works well thus we bought some copies of studio for Illustrator. I am now trying to automate the die cleanup from Impact so that I need only set folding angles, substrate and export as an ARD. This is why I am bringing Pitstop Action Lists into the mix. My Rube Goldberg machine will run and run well come hell or high water.

99% there. Do you mind sharing the action list? The only thing this didn't finish is converting those measurements into stroked objects instead of fills.

Attachments

• abc test.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 226
Version 1.0 of this solution is attached.

ZIP file contains:
Readme with instructions
  • how to install the Action List on AutomationEngine
  • how to install the Action List on PitStop Pro
  • how to install the import/export settings for Impact to generate an optimal PDF
PitStop Action List "Convert Impact CAD Die.eal"
Impact settings for Export Import___Export_Settings.ips

Tested with Arden Impact 2014, Esko Automation Engine 12.2.0b219, and Adobe Acrobat 11.0.07 with PitStop Pro 12.

I will be working on updating the Action List to map all of the various Impact palette colors to Artios compatible palette colors. I'll follow up with that update when I finish it.

Many thanks to ABC for providing a list that helped me refresh myself with Action Lists! It's been years since I last dealt with this.

Attachments

• Impact PDF Optimizer.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 200

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back