Creasing 350gsm on a Morgana Docufold Pro?

gazfocus

Currently looking at buying a Morgana Docufold Pro which I believe has a creasing module with a bypass tray for heavier stocks.

I was curious as to whether the creasing module would be able to crease (or crease and fold) 350gsm silk card stock. The official spec says maximum paper weight of 240gsm but I’ve never been one to stick to the spec haha.

I don’t mind if it can’t fold as well but definitely need something to be able to put a crease in place.

Just wondered if anyone here has experience with the Docufold Pro and using heavier stocks.

I think you're mistaken. I'm not aware of any creasing module for a docufold Pro. It has a scoring module.

To crease and fold in a single pass you'd be looking at a digifold Pro or a aufofold Pro combined with autocreaser.

Last edited:
I think you're mistaken. I'm not aware of any creasing module for a docufold Pro. It has a scoring module.

To crease and fold in a single pass you'd be looking at a digifold Pro or a aufofold Pro combined with autocreaser.
Ah perhaps I got to docufold and digifold mixed up. It's definitely the docufold that we are looking at though which Morgana says will fold up to 246gsm without cracking. So brings me back to the question of whether anyone has used it with 350gsm card or am I better looking for a digicrease or something? :D

Were you originally in the market for a folder or a creaser? Do you have a standalone creaser separate to this purchase? If not and your primary use is going to be 350gsm then I'd be looking at the Digifold pro. We have a Morgana Major folder which looks very similar to the Docufold and I never bother running anything over 300gsm through it, just jams and doesn't stack them well, not to mention the noise as it whacks through the fold plates.

Were you originally in the market for a folder or a creaser? Do you have a standalone creaser separate to this purchase? If not and your primary use is going to be 350gsm then I'd be looking at the Digifold pro. We have a Morgana Major folder which looks very similar to the Docufold and I never bother running anything over 300gsm through it, just jams and doesn't stack them well, not to mention the noise as it whacks through the fold plates.
To answer your question, I initially set out to buy a folder for doing tri fold and half fold leaflets and such like. I like that the Docufold can also perforate but never set out to buy a perforator.

The only creaser I have at present is a manual creaser where you move a handle to crease, and a semi automatic chinese one that you have to feed each sheet individually. We are starting our own range of greeting cards and will potentially be printing a few thousand at a time so while I don't mind (to an extent) hand feeding the chinese creaser, I'd much rather have something automatic that I can load up and leave.

To be honest it sounds like the Digifold Pro would suit you better. Obviously no perf option.

The Digifold Pro and the Autofold Pro are knife folds rather than plate folds on the Docufold & Major Folders.
I'm not familiar at all with knife folds and I see they are specced to be from 80gsm - 400gsm BUT my sales rep was trying to sell me an Autofold recently and he seemed to warn me that they can't handle below 130gsm so maybe someone with one can clarify that.

If you did see the need to perforate you'd be looking to and Autocreaser with Autofold Pro, that way you can perf on the autocreaser when the autofold is disconnected.

We have an old Morgana Autocreaser that is 17 years old and it works fantastic, we score 350 gsm all the time and up to 24pt tango.
We have a Morgana Autofold Pro (7 years) next to it which will fold 80#, 100#, 111# & 350gsm on it without a problem.
Would buy Morgana again anyday.
Hope this helps.

MorganaAutocreaserv2.jpg

We have an old Morgana Autocreaser that is 17 years old and it works fantastic, we score 350 gsm all the time and up to 24pt tango.
We have a Morgana Autofold Pro (7 years) next to it which will fold 80#, 100#, 111# & 350gsm on it without a problem.
Would buy Morgana again anyday.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 290555
Would love more photos of your print shop :)

Just to update the thread, I ended up opting for a Morgana Autocreaser for creasing 350gsm card stock. It was delivered today so not had chance to try it yet. Still looking at the Docufold Pro for folding but happy that I got the dedicated creaser.

Just to update the thread, I ended up opting for a Morgana Autocreaser for creasing 350gsm card stock. It was delivered today so not had chance to try it yet. Still looking at the Docufold Pro for folding but happy that I got the dedicated creaser.
You won't be disappointed @gazfocus We bought the Autocreaser Pro33 last year and are well pleased with it, mostly using it with 250GSM coated stocks, often with a gloss laminate to both sides.

Our folding machine is a plate folder (Duplo DF-1200) so we don't tend to put anything over 170GSM through it. I guess it depends on your quantities, but for our typical runs of several hundred cards per sort, after going through the Autocreaser, we quickly hand fold from the centre of the crease, and weight it with a few packs of paper overnight... job done.

You won't be disappointed @gazfocus We bought the Autocreaser Pro33 last year and are well pleased with it, mostly using it with 250GSM coated stocks, often with a gloss laminate to both sides.

Our folding machine is a plate folder (Duplo DF-1200) so we don't tend to put anything over 170GSM through it. I guess it depends on your quantities, but for our typical runs of several hundred cards per sort, after going through the Autocreaser, we quickly hand fold from the centre of the crease, and weight it with a few packs of paper overnight... job done.
Thanks. We couldn’t quite stretch to the Pro 33 so ended up with an older model. We only have one customer job where we need to crease but we are starting to do greeting cards which will need creasing so that drove the purchase. As we get busier with the greeting cards, we may upgrade, but for the time being, it’s a good starter machine.

We had a Duplo DF1200 (or may have been the DF1000) and it was great when we had a Xerox digital press but there’s just too much static coming off our konica so sheets would always get jammed. Gave up and sold the Duplo in the end.

We had a Duplo DF1200 (or may have been the DF1000) and it was great when we had a Xerox digital press but there’s just too much static coming off our konica so sheets would always get jammed. Gave up and sold the Duplo in the end.

It's not always possible, however we have found leaving a job for a couple of hours after printing and then fanning it well makes the DF-1200 a lot happier. Have had the same problem when going straight from printer to guillotine to folder within minutes.

Possible static solutions if needed from Just A Printer. Great channel to follow

We have the Konica C3070 which has an anti static module fitted. Problem is it's pants and doesn't work properly haha.

I do follow Dan and look forward to his new video every weekend. We have an issue ocassionally where our press starts running before the fuser is at the correct temp, resulting in a C3501 (I think) error with a 'Call Service' message. Learnt from Dan how to clear the error rather than calling an engineer out every other day :)

350gsm paper definitely need crease before fold, There are 4 main Crease folder players globally except Morgana, you can choose Graphic whizard, Horizon, Multigraf, But if you need perforation, Morgana is not the best advice for you , Morgana can do only linear perforation, Horizon can do only cross perforation, GW and Multigraf can do in both direction.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back