Creasing 350gsm on a Morgana Docufold Pro?

gazfocus

Currently looking at buying a Morgana Docufold Pro which I believe has a creasing module with a bypass tray for heavier stocks.

I was curious as to whether the creasing module would be able to crease (or crease and fold) 350gsm silk card stock. The official spec says maximum paper weight of 240gsm but I’ve never been one to stick to the spec haha.

I don’t mind if it can’t fold as well but definitely need something to be able to put a crease in place.

Just wondered if anyone here has experience with the Docufold Pro and using heavier stocks.

pippip

I think you're mistaken. I'm not aware of any creasing module for a docufold Pro. It has a scoring module.

To crease and fold in a single pass you'd be looking at a digifold Pro or a aufofold Pro combined with autocreaser.

Last edited:

gazfocus

I think you're mistaken. I'm not aware of any creasing module for a docufold Pro. It has a scoring module.

To crease and fold in a single pass you'd be looking at a digifold Pro or a aufofold Pro combined with autocreaser.
Ah perhaps I got to docufold and digifold mixed up. It's definitely the docufold that we are looking at though which Morgana says will fold up to 246gsm without cracking. So brings me back to the question of whether anyone has used it with 350gsm card or am I better looking for a digicrease or something? :D

pippip

Were you originally in the market for a folder or a creaser? Do you have a standalone creaser separate to this purchase? If not and your primary use is going to be 350gsm then I'd be looking at the Digifold pro. We have a Morgana Major folder which looks very similar to the Docufold and I never bother running anything over 300gsm through it, just jams and doesn't stack them well, not to mention the noise as it whacks through the fold plates.

gazfocus

Were you originally in the market for a folder or a creaser? Do you have a standalone creaser separate to this purchase? If not and your primary use is going to be 350gsm then I'd be looking at the Digifold pro. We have a Morgana Major folder which looks very similar to the Docufold and I never bother running anything over 300gsm through it, just jams and doesn't stack them well, not to mention the noise as it whacks through the fold plates.
To answer your question, I initially set out to buy a folder for doing tri fold and half fold leaflets and such like. I like that the Docufold can also perforate but never set out to buy a perforator.

The only creaser I have at present is a manual creaser where you move a handle to crease, and a semi automatic chinese one that you have to feed each sheet individually. We are starting our own range of greeting cards and will potentially be printing a few thousand at a time so while I don't mind (to an extent) hand feeding the chinese creaser, I'd much rather have something automatic that I can load up and leave.

pippip

To be honest it sounds like the Digifold Pro would suit you better. Obviously no perf option.

The Digifold Pro and the Autofold Pro are knife folds rather than plate folds on the Docufold & Major Folders.
I'm not familiar at all with knife folds and I see they are specced to be from 80gsm - 400gsm BUT my sales rep was trying to sell me an Autofold recently and he seemed to warn me that they can't handle below 130gsm so maybe someone with one can clarify that.

If you did see the need to perforate you'd be looking to and Autocreaser with Autofold Pro, that way you can perf on the autocreaser when the autofold is disconnected.

axelmk

We have an old Morgana Autocreaser that is 17 years old and it works fantastic, we score 350 gsm all the time and up to 24pt tango.
We have a Morgana Autofold Pro (7 years) next to it which will fold 80#, 100#, 111# & 350gsm on it without a problem.
Would buy Morgana again anyday.
Hope this helps.

MorganaAutocreaserv2.jpg

gazfocus

We have an old Morgana Autocreaser that is 17 years old and it works fantastic, we score 350 gsm all the time and up to 24pt tango.
We have a Morgana Autofold Pro (7 years) next to it which will fold 80#, 100#, 111# & 350gsm on it without a problem.
Would buy Morgana again anyday.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 290555
Would love more photos of your print shop :)

Controlling the Purse Strings

Avanti
CONTROLLING THE
PURSE STRINGS

By Noel Ward, Editor@Large
What did you buy for your
business last week?
And how are you making sure everything you purchase is properly managed and accounted for?

Read the Article