Create color bar for SM102 ZP

sornchai

Hello. I have X-Rite Exact 6 mm apertures and I know ink key widths are 32.5 mm . How I create doubling and slur check boxes? Are there standards? Thank you for recomendations

RE:
As valuable as they are, the doubling and slur patches are really only going to matter to a press operator. Unfortunately, those patches are extremely underrated by many others in the industry (usually those who don’t actually run a press), and most pre-press departments have completely discarded them long ago.

Every element (text, halftone dot) can reveal slur and/or doubling. I've not met a press operator that much cares if those specific targets are not present.

I’d like to think that the biggest reason they’ve been removed is because of the curved color bar (which is understandable),

The doubling and slur patches are not affected by tone curves so why would curves would be a reason to remove them?

Interesting. Every curved color bar that I’ve ever seen with slur/doubling targets in it, the targets are always distorted, and unusable. In color bars without a pre-press curve applied, they always seem to be crisp, and sharp.

Those target are line elements not greyscale (same as in the old film workflow). Curves can’t affect them...unless something in the workflow from file to press is wrong.

Gentlemen,

Part 2 regarding this topic.

Regards, Alois

We use a colourbar supplied by Heidelberg specifically for the CP2000 console. Slur targets are notably missing it simply has solids of CMYKXY and 50% of C & M

We use a colourbar supplied by Heidelberg specifically for the CP2000 console. Slur targets are notably missing it simply has solids of CMYKXY and 50% of C & M

And that’s from a press manufacturer and press operator trainer. Saw a similar thing at the Heidelberg demo center in Kennesaw Georgia. Case closed? Or maybe Heidelberg presses don’t slur or double so no need for those targets. ;-D

Last edited:
And that’s from a press manufacturer and press operator trainer. Saw the same thing at the Heidelberg demo center in Kennesaw Georgia. Case closed? Or maybe Heidelberg presses don’t slur or double so no need for those targets. ;-D
No, they just have the famous Heidelberg "Gear Lash" band ;)

Not to put too fine a point on it...
Because the color bar is not a very useful signal of print issues since it only tells you what is happening in the color bar rather than what's happening in the actual live print area, you always see press operators hunched over their presswork with a loupe like this:

Checking sheet2.jpg

Among other things, the live print area can reveal localized issues in the presswork. This post shows how the live image area can reveals some issues related to the black print unit. The same issues can be diagnosed by looking at the other process colors: Every letter tells a story - print problems revealed in type reproduction.

Slightly off topic, but I think that for at least a decade, LEDs' were integrated into loupes and microscopes .
Illuminated area of inspection is so much more revealing.
Or perhaps it's just my aging eyesight....

Hello Magnus,

I suggest you look again - the Heidelberg Control Strip DOES contain SLUR and GAIN Defect Targets

On CP 2000

I fundamentally disagree that Print Control Strips are out of date, from my early days in Web Offset they have

saved untold amounts of spoils, just a quick look at the control strip on a 16/32 page Signature at the Press Folder

you have a VIsual Indicator of the DEFECTS before you get back to the Press Console and rectify.

Regards, Alois

Hello Magnus,

I suggest you look again - the Heidelberg Control Strip DOES contain SLUR and GAIN Defect Targets

On CP 2000

I fundamentally disagree that Print Control Strips are out of date, from my early days in Web Offset they have

saved untold amounts of spoils, just a quick look at the control strip on a 16/32 page Signature at the Press Folder

you have a VIsual Indicator of the DEFECTS before you get back to the Press Console and rectify.

Regards, Alois

Alois,
I don't see any slur & gain defect targets
This is the file 6GS-F74-740x12.eps as supplied by Heidelberg

1591580132147.png

Hello Magnus,

OK - You need to contact Heidelberg and get the "Correct Print Control Strip"

also read the "Prinect Image Control Manual "

Regards, Alois
 Heidelberg  4GS  print control  strip 089.jpg

This is the other version that Heidelberg supplied, the press operators requested the basic one, apparently it works better with the scanner on their console, I don't argue, I just do what they ask :)
1591842283521.png

Hello Magnus,

I suggest that your "Press Operators" need educating on the merits of Colour Control Strips, also the very "Expensive Scanner" problems

be Rectified! does the Pressroom Manager know about this Scanner Malfunction?

Regards, Alois

Hello Magnus,

I suggest that your "Press Operators" need educating on the merits of Colour Control Strips, also the very "Expensive Scanner" problems

be Rectified! does the Pressroom Manager know about this Scanner Malfunction?

Regards, Alois
After 44 years in the industry, I have learned not to get involved in Pressroom politics :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back