Crop marks - n00b question

bcr

When Im trying to print a compliment slip from totalflow/fiery, I've enabled 'Crop Marks' so that I can cut them down to size on our stack cutter.

But once i cut off the top part of the page, i've then lost the crop marks for the top right side of the page, and so on. So how do i then ensure the next cut is accurate with only one half of the right side crop marks remaining?

I don't do much in the way of publications printing - mostly just high volume legal stuff - which I'm sure is now obvious!

Appreciate any suggestions!

turn your pile counter clock wise to put the cut edge against the side wall. this keeps it square and will show 1 cut mark for all but the last cut, and you should know the final size. Or draw the line connecting the cut marks on your top sheet and set the program cutter for the other lifts.

Reactions: bcr
2 methods I've used:

- If the layout is known, such as how far apart each item (slip) is from adjoining ones, then I would always cut two adjacent sides first to make a finished corner. From there it's a matter of math as to what to set the successive cuts to
- Don't cut 1 sheet and use the marks on it to line up your cuts

I often don’t use crops at all, other than for client approval of 1-up PDFs, as with a programmable cutter they are somewhat superfluous IMHO.
All my guillotine programs are calculated in excel, with adjustment for fuser shrinkage, which is usually up to 1mm on a 450x320mm sheet, dependent on weight and whether simplex/duplex.

turn your pile counter clock wise to put the cut edge against the side wall. this keeps it square and will show 1 cut mark for all but the last cut, and you should know the final size. Or draw the line connecting the cut marks on your top sheet and set the program cutter for the other lifts.

thank you. for some reason i had it in my head that i shouldn't use the side wall. probably from having seen people on videos stick the pile in the middle. but this makes sense!

I often don’t use crops at all, other than for client approval of 1-up PDFs, as with a programmable cutter they are somewhat superfluous IMHO.
All my guillotine programs are calculated in excel, with adjustment for fuser shrinkage, which is usually up to 1mm on a 450x320mm sheet, dependent on weight and whether simplex/duplex.
I'm often getting random little bits and pieces sent to me which aren't even properly sized. more of a 'can you print this thing i made'? hence sometimes doing stuff by eye..

doing it by eye = building in a little fudge factor is the term we use.

If you don't trust your side guide to be square to the blade you need a new cutter.

thanks Bill - it actually seems fine. it's just one of those things where I'm self taught and somehow got it in my head that i wasn't supposed to use it like that.

I can recall seeing various user manuals etc and youtube videos of people cutting from the centre of the machine, not the side. But it makes total obvious sense to use the corner now that you have pointed it out.

I'm pretty sure there are numerous other things that i'm fudging as well. will try and get some tips from a friendly local printer that i have contact with.

Thanks!

I can recall seeing various user manuals etc and youtube videos of people cutting from the centre of the machine, not the side. But it makes total obvious sense to use the corner now that you have pointed it out.
When cutting from the sides, it can be relevant which side you cut from - I'd only discovered this benefit recently when cutting thick stacks of 300GSM boards. Better results are achieved cutting from the right, as thinking of how the blade comes down, this prevents resistance against the severed substrate to the operator side of the blade. I may have not explained that too well, but it will make sense of you try both sides.

When cutting from the sides, it can be relevant which side you cut from - I'd only discovered this benefit recently when cutting thick stacks of 300GSM boards. Better results are achieved cutting from the right, as thinking of how the blade comes down, this prevents resistance against the severed substrate to the operator side of the blade. I may have not explained that too well, but it will make sense of you try both sides.
Yeah makes sense, thanks for the tip!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back