CTP developer recycling

Some years ago I got information about a british company selling a device to automatically regenerate (to some extent) used CTP developer, which it blended with fresh one, resulting in savings to the end user.
Now it seems to have disappeared, I found it's website only on the webarchive:
Aspire Imaging UK  Computer to Plate Applications  CTP Printing

Did such technology ever work, are there other similar systems out there?

best regards,

Roberto Michelena
Infinitek
Lima, Peru

Roberto,

Maratek has some recycling systems for blanket press wash (I have experience with this from them and purchased several for multiple locations) as well as on press fountain solution filtration as well as your lost device for CTP developer management. The company is based out of Canada as well as being distributed through Pitman in the USA.

The other company I am aware of is Prisco has several machines (we went through them for on press fountain solution filtration) including the PriscoTech FilterX, both systems claim up to a 50% reduction in CTP developer usage.

We have not gone this far with CTP chemical filtration or recycling but it is something I am interested in and would like to continue researching. Googling either one of these companies should help you find out more.

Ctp developer recycling

Ctp developer recycling

Try Optimum Environmental in Canada Google Optimum Environmental for their website

Some years ago I got information about a british company selling a device to automatically regenerate (to some extent) used CTP developer, which it blended with fresh one, resulting in savings to the end user.
Now it seems to have disappeared, I found it's website only on the webarchive:
Aspire Imaging UK  Computer to Plate Applications  CTP Printing

Did such technology ever work, are there other similar systems out there?

best regards,

Roberto Michelena
Infinitek
Lima, Peru

Such systems are really just a super-fine filtration system, eliminating more of the particulate in the developer so that it can be used longer. If they'll help your particular situation depends on why your developer is being exhausted.

They'll work if (and only if):

1) you're currently changing your developer due to it being dirty
2) you're replenishing to overcome dirt/sludge buidup that collects in the dev tank.
3) you're replenishing more than is needed to combat oxidation

If the problem you're having is simply chemically-exhausted developer, there is little benefit to better filtration.

Today's developers are much cleaner than they were even a couple years ago. I'm not sure what plate/developer/processor you are using however, and that makes a big difference.

Regarding oxidation - if your developer is sensitive to oxygen (as most/all positive-typedevelopers are), you can only increase the life of the developer so far by filtering before you run into oxidation-caused replenishment limits. Plates like Sword Excel don't have this limit because it uses a negative-type low-pH developer.

Kodak does not officially endorse 3rd-party units because we would rather address the problem at the source with better chemical/processing solutions (or eliminate processing altogether!). However, we do offer a Kodak unit for some plate types like Thermal Gold (which some people used with Sword Excel too).

In the long term, such solutions shouldn't be necessary. In the short term, it varies by plate and chemical type.

Kevin.

ctp developer recycling

ctp developer recycling

Partially correct Kevin. Kodak does not officially endorse 3rd party units however, they haven't addressed the quality and cost issues directly of concern to their customers either.
I installed a DLX-PRO unit at a Kodak customer 3 1'22 years ago. No plate quality issues however, the customers plate count went from 700 plates to 1250 on the same batch of developer. That customer has a unit on both processors and in the first year saved over $65,000 in less developer/replenisher as well as a savings on neutralization solution without factoring savings in direct labour costs.

It doesn't make sense foranyone on ctp not to install a unit but get on that does not require any interfacing or changes to the processor setting, temp replenishment etc. The savings are astounding.

Ecoprint (Bob)

Partially correct Kevin. Kodak does not officially endorse 3rd party units however, they haven't addressed the quality and cost issues directly of concern to their customers either.
I installed a DLX-PRO unit at a Kodak customer 3 1'22 years ago. No plate quality issues however, the customers plate count went from 700 plates to 1250 on the same batch of developer. That customer has a unit on both processors and in the first year saved over $65,000 in less developer/replenisher as well as a savings on neutralization solution without factoring savings in direct labour costs.

It doesn't make sense foranyone on ctp not to install a unit but get on that does not require any interfacing or changes to the processor setting, temp replenishment etc. The savings are astounding.

Ecoprint (Bob)

Hi Bob, I don't disagree other than to add a big "it depends" on the end. For a high-volume customer like you quote above ($>65k savings in developer alone means they're a HUGE plate user) I'm sure it'll help. However, most typical printers run into oxidation being a bigger reason for replenishment and bath changes than dirt is - again, depending on plate/developer/processor type (especially with newer/better chemical systems and non-process plates).

I don't think you can promise similar savings to such customers in any meaningful way. In the right target market, you're probably right. However, from our experience, those savings drop too close to the cost/complexity/maintenance of such a system in an average print shop today (give or take), so it depends a lot on local situation and needs.

Kevin.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back