Custom perforated paper in large quantity

gregbatch

Does anyone have a good source for 50k to 100k 13x17 60# with a single perf? Need it for a large variable job.

I've had similar needs in the past. My paper merchant (Lindenmeyr) placed custom orders with the companies that produce standard perf items. It's worked very well both on price and in runnability.

I've had similar needs in the past. My paper merchant (Lindenmeyr) placed custom orders with the companies that produce standard perf items. It's worked very well both on price and in runnability.
Thanks! What kind of lead time did it require? I also wonder if that is still an option in the current paper climate.

We always just bought the paper from our normal paper supplier, and, used a local bindery. Had the paper drop-shipped from the supplier direct to the bindery. You could even order the sheets in a larger size (26 x 34) and they can perf 2-out, then cut. Just make sure they know that it needs to be a "micro-perf" so that it will run through a digital press. First run will cost you a little more because they have to set/build the die. But, once you've paid for the die, all other runs do not include that cost. You'll want to run a test run first (a couple of thousand) so you can make sure that it's not going to give your digital press any problems. Turnaround for the first run was a couple of weeks. All subsequent runs (we ran this particular job weekly, for 2 years) turnaround was a couple of days.

Last edited:
Also, if it's a simple, unidirectional perf, you can always print first, then perf on the folder....

Interesting size, does this get cut down?

I have done the same as @MailGuru for large runs, usually for those dang 3 perf 8.5 x 14 jobs.

Interesting size, does this get cut down?

I have done the same as @MailGuru for large runs, usually for those dang 3 perf 8.5 x 14 jobs.
Yes, gets slit to 8.5 on the folder. We have been converting customers from 8.5x14 to 8.5x13 wherever possible. 14 inch is such an inefficient sheet for digital. The machine speed is only 10 sheets slower for 17 inch and you get 2-out. So 71ppm vs 122ppm 2-up and slit.
We found a print partner with a Didde that has a nice perf bar that can do it cheaper than anyone else has quoted. That gets the price down a more competitive edge and gives us the opportunity to convert many customers to white paper production rather than shells. Even when we are a bit higher, the flexibility for the customer has great value. One customer has 5 clients that use the same sheet/perf format. Managing shells for 5 different clients was a pain. Now they never worry about waste or being short, and they are ready to take on new clients because they can scale up or down as needed.

Interesting, I have so many devices that can do "micro" perf but they all suck at keeping the long sheets registered. I just picked up a Formax Atlas AS that I will try perfing on it to see how it goes.

Interesting, I have so many devices that can do "micro" perf but they all suck at keeping the long sheets registered. I just picked up a Formax Atlas AS that I will try perfing on it to see how it goes.
I have a couple Rolland machines and they run perfs nice and straight even on longer sheets. I wouldn’t want to run 50,000 sheets but for short runs or a few cases at a time they are great. The direct friction feed works just as nice at keeping the lines straight as the air feed with register tape table.

You should be able to find a used one at a good price and they are built like tanks that will last forever. I put several Technifold creasers on one and the crease is just as good as a channel crease, Rollem style head micro perfs are nice and flat too.

I have a Rosback 220a that sits in the corner collecting dust if anyone is looking for one. These days I just farm out the bigger perf jobs. If need be I will throw them through the Graphic Wizard if I need custom perfs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back