Cutting wavy coating jobs

trever9

Jobs come from pressroom that are on light weight stock and aqueous coated are always wavy and seem to miss cut off marks due to draw down. Pressroom is using non curl coating. Any suggetions to help?

Use a flexible false clamp if you have one. Cut the ream up from the center, the divided cuts are started from the center, the finish cuts of the outer edges are made last. Use a sharp knife.

You need to be more specific in what size sheet but here is the deal and maybe you have the correct cutter in your Bindery to help with the problem:

The problem is the air trapped in the pile. Get rid of the air and your stacks will be much more acceptable. You have 2 options but it depends on your Cutter. #1 is if you have a jogger with a mash roller is to set it so it will roll over the stock multiple times. #2 is if you have a programmable cutter with an automatic mode there may be a option for clamp only. If so, step and repeat every few inches and this is what really takes it to the next level. If you really want it flat, you do this and make your first cut and then repeat with the pile in the other direction. Like I said, it depends on how you are set up and your workflow solutions in the Bindery. This does not slow me down any in my shop but I may be the exception. But I get great registration. I do this for 28X40 down to 12X18.

HTH,

Jobs come from pressroom that are on light weight stock and aqueous coated are always wavy and seem to miss cut off marks due to draw down. Pressroom is using non curl coating. Any suggetions to help?

Depending on the run size and the thickness of the substrate, it is sometimes a good idea to hit both sides with the lo curl. Even if you were to cut the finished product on the marks it will curl up afterwards which can be pretty ugly - coating both sides can mitigate that.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back