DC240 Has Odor -- Is It Filling Up My Lungs with Toner?

homeboy

When the DC240 we just got runs, the odor from the toner (I assume that's what it is) is very strong. With the DC12, we had no such odor, or if it was there, is was so slight I didn't notice it. Is this harmful? Every time I go near the DC240 while it is running I imagine my lungs filling up with toner worse than if I was a smoker. We've aimed a fan at it, but maybe all that does is disburse the dust. Am I being overly concerned? By the way, I can't "see" any dust and don't notice anything settling on the items in the room. It's just that smell!

Homeboy, the odor you are detecting is probably:
1) ozone dicharge, or
2) the fuser burning in.

If it's fuser, the smell will go away relatively quickly. If it's ozone, get your tech to replace the ozone filters.

Did you think it might be the paper you are printing on? Paper has all sorts of coatings on it that emit all sorts of smells when heated. The toner is no worse than the carsnagens you expose yourself to every time you go outside.

You probably smell the "fuser warm up mode" which is harmless to human body, although Ozone that is produces in every copier/laser printer can harm our body if the levels exceed the normal value. If you'd looked in you're CED you'll see the levels that you're xerox is producing - the only danger is if you have you're copier in a small room and you run it 24/7 then the air becomes very tight - hard to breath in so in that case i recommend you: that you move you're box to a larger room if possible, if not invest in an air ionizer (device that produces negative ions - and they are responsible for dismantling the ozone)

But i should warn you although the ozone smell is still present if you you use air ionizer it's not harmful anymore - because the molecules are dismantled.

I've installed two larger ionizers in my facility where i use multiple production printers - to ensure that my workers are healthy ;)

just pick

just pick

Homeboy, the best way to tell if you are breathing in toner is to have a look at your snot/boogers when you go home from a shift at work.

I know it sounds digusting, but when i worked with offset presses sometimes my snot was the same color as the dominating colour of the job/jobs i was printing.
But that came from emulsification.

HP believes that all laser printers emit nanoparticles to one degree or another.
see...
Laser Printer Air Pollution, Laser Toner Air Purifiers

Hope it is just ozone or running in parts, ask a tech when he is in and you are running.

Cheers.

The results of the snot test are negative. Since it happens more or less with all papers, I'm putting my money on the ozone filters -- which I haven't yet located or changed. I'll report back in a few.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back