Deleting objects outside the Media Box (Margins)...

StillWaiting

Hi,
Is there a Task that will clip and get rid of all objects outside the Media Box (Margins) that is set in Illustrator?
Sometimes we get super complex files that we will just use a clipping box in Illustrator to visually eliminate anything past our standard 0.625" bleed. But AE still keeps those object and it gets messed up in the "Add SmartMarks" task because we have to have the "Fit Margins" box checked.

Are you using Deskpack and Automation engine only? I know it can be done in an Artpro action list but not sure of what AE task would achieve that.

Are you using Deskpack and Automation engine only? I know it can be done in an Artpro action list but not sure of what AE task would achieve that.

Yep. Tried PitStop actions...no luck. I'll look at some APAL as well. Just hate running files through extra task when there should not be a need for it. Why is it that when you Launch Workflow it doesn't clip out objects that are out side the Media box. Ugh

After creating your clipping mask in Illustrator, have you tried Object > Expand (or maybe Expand Appearance)?
You mention Pitstop actions. I know Pitstop can do this in Acrobat, with some specific exceptions. For one, you have to make sure the page boxes are correct (and set up as expected) and that the action in question is using the correct page box (ie...a default action that does something similar to this uses the trim box, I had to tweak it to use the bleed box for my most common usage). Also (and I suspect this might be the issue), objects that are inside the finished area/trim box but have parts that extended out beyond the media box will not be deleted or adjusted in any way.

When refining/ripping files and discovering the hidden/cropped area now visible; I found that reprinting directly to a new PDF in Acrobat takes on the media box settings as they view. Worth a try.

How about the Optimize and Clean task in Automation Engine? You could use the Contours outside Margins option.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back