Die Cutting

Good videos
Why do they always put young, cute girls, dressed like Sunday church, to do demo for heavy machinery?
Just wandering

A flatbed is a possibility, but the Zunds are fairly big & expensive and take up quite a bit of room. I think Zund say that they are ideal for prototypes, but I would think that feeding stock would be the big issue if you had more than a few to do.

There was a company doing the rounds at the trade shows a while back (Magna something?) which had a way of doing short run cutting & creasing without traditional dies. It only went up to B3 and so I didn't really take much notice... maybe someone else remembers?

We sometimes do mock ups using a vinyl cutter with optical eye registration. It works really well for cutting board, but obviously no good for creasing.

Someone needs to come up with a small flatbed cutter with a simple suction tape feed, should be good for runs up to a couple of hundred. ...I must run off and patent that idea :)

Ifelton - I think the company you are referring to is Magnacutter from UK. Unfortunately they no longer exist due to the death of the designer / owner last year, however my company now has the distribution rights for this machine (and several others) in Europe.

If it's the machine I think it is, it's a very quick machine but it does use traditional dies.

If anybody is interested they can get more details from our website: www.lartec.com.es

I saw a digital die cutter yesterday that followed marks from a wide format ink jet printer, little carbide knives that slices out whatever pattern you wanted, like the old Gerber Autoprep systems (now that's showing one's age) or the digital coating blanket cutters. True, it's part of the wide format print system, but it's digital. Allegedly competitive with steel dies up to 1000 pieces. It was cutting an image laminated to a 20 point sheet.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Alas, although digital is flexing its muscle, there are just some things, like die cutting, that traditional offset still does much much better. And yes, there are some designs that traditional diecutting equipment can't do, but the vast majority it does very well.

We have a Heidelberg Windmill and it will be the last press we get rid of because of its versatility, ie. numbering, printing, scoring, perfing and yes diecutting. As for diecutting all we need is a wood mounted die and we're off and running.

Roger that, JaimeZ. Just had a job run on an Indigo and die cut on the Windmill. Done before you know it.
Those old heidelbergs run forever.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

MGE makes a vision system called i-cut. They are now owned by kongsberg (which is Esko) and make a small table to cut out things produced on the sheetfed digital devices. I've got one running in conjunction with 2 color and 2 black and white digital presses.

i-cut is software i believe. which table do you have, got any online links to it? what was the cost of it?

i-cut is software i believe. which table do you have, got any online links to it? what was the cost of it?

It's software and the vision system, they technically could go on any router machine be it Kongsberg, Zund or others, that was the way prior to Kongsberg buying them so I'm not sure now. An i-XE-10 Kongsberg table with the i-cut is going to run around $100,000 US. Not cheep but when you eliminate set ups and dies and do that enough it definitely makes since.

MGE- Mikkelsen Graphic Engineering, Developer of i-cut®, Distributor of Kongsberg digital cutting systems.

i-XE10 - EskoArtwork

I'm in the grand format biz, and from I understand, The Zund is alot better then the kongsberg.

you cand find a used, but well maintained Zund m-series (small size) PN class for around $50k in the US

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back