DigiFold Pro - folding light stocks

jwheeler

We need to replace an old Morgana folder that we have ran the wheels off of for more than 10 years. This has been a very solid, reliable machine, so we want to stick with this brand. We also need to add creasing capabilities to our shop. We are debating between getting the separate folder and creaser machines, or the DigiFold Pro which does creasing and folding in one machine.

The reason for getting the 2 separate machines is the stand-alone folder can fold up to 27,500 sph, while the all-in-one does up to 6,000 sph. We do alot more folding that doesn't need creasing. The benefit to the all-in-one is creasing and folding is: a single pass, a smaller foot print in our shop, and it will save us from adding another outlet.

The 3rd party distributor we are working with says the DigiFold Pro doesn't handle lighter stocks such as 20# bond...it will mis-feed every 10 sheets or so. Does anyone have this machine and experience this same issue? We certainly don't want to invest $30k into a machine that will mis-feed that often, but sales reps don't always have as much hands-on experience as end users who know how to make proper adjustments. We will also be doing a demo, but trying a ream during a demo and actually using on a daily basis folding 10's of thousands is always a different experience. Please only comment if you have experience with the DigiFold Pro...not looking to be sold on other brands (we've already checked into Duplo, Baum, and Count).

First, you have to understand that you are talking two different folding technologies. DigiFold uses a flying knife to push the sheet into the rollers at lower speed for precise, scuff-free folding on digital output. The DocuFold is a traditional buckle folder. If you are doing more non-creased folding and light weight stocks I would go with the speed advantage of the DocuFold (27,500) and an AutoCreaser (8,500). The DocuFold is a nice compact folder with some great features for smooth running. The DocuFold still does a nice job on creased sheets if you keep the speed low.

If you were doing more creased stock, then you have more questions. Do you fold everything you crease? If so, the DigiFold may be just fine. Do you crease a lot that you don't fold? Do you crease items that are stored flat and folded by the end user? Do you crease covers that are inserted by a digital press for booklets? Stick with an AutoCreaser and put an AutoFold at the end for one-pass crease and fold when you need it (6,240). Most of the shops I know of have an AutoCreaser, AutoFold, and a high speed folder (Morgana or other brand). Few have the DigiFold.

First, you have to understand that you are talking two different folding technologies. DigiFold uses a flying knife to push the sheet into the rollers at lower speed for precise, scuff-free folding on digital output. The DocuFold is a traditional buckle folder. If you are doing more non-creased folding and light weight stocks I would go with the speed advantage of the DocuFold (27,500) and an AutoCreaser (8,500). The DocuFold is a nice compact folder with some great features for smooth running. The DocuFold still does a nice job on creased sheets if you keep the speed low.

If you were doing more creased stock, then you have more questions. Do you fold everything you crease? If so, the DigiFold may be just fine. Do you crease a lot that you don't fold? Do you crease items that are stored flat and folded by the end user? Do you crease covers that are inserted by a digital press for booklets? Stick with an AutoCreaser and put an AutoFold at the end for one-pass crease and fold when you need it (6,240). Most of the shops I know of have an AutoCreaser, AutoFold, and a high speed folder (Morgana or other brand). Few have the DigiFold.

I will echo this opinion. We have a Baum 2020 and also had a Morgana Digifold Pro at one point (but made our vendor take it back as it could not reliable crease 65# cover without putting dog ears on the sheets). With that being said, it creased and folded 80# text very well, but I would never think of subjecting any lighter weight paper to knife folding, for the same reasons Greg mentions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back