Digita Machine that can do 16pt?

Consistently? We are planning to run a good amount of it every week. about 2,000+ sheets a week.

2,000 sheets a week is not a lot. You could push that through probably a lot of mid-production machines running it as manual duplex. If it jams every 100 sheets or so I wouldn't be surprised but you are only talking about 20 jams. The cost to have someone clear the jam and the additional paper cost will never be greater then the difference of a KM6500 lease vs a KM8000. Do you have other volume to put on this machine besides 8m a month?

How does that KM6500 compare to the X700?
We used to have a Xerox 700 which was horrible with 300 and 350gsm Silk even only simplex.
The first sheet would print beautifully however every sheet after that the colours would be out of register.
I once had a job of around 200 SRA3 sheets of 300gsm which I had to run 1 at a time (had to wait till the engine had stopped) due small white text on a rich black background.

I'm not sure about the KM C8000 but it should be OK. Our Xerox 800 doesn't have any issues.

We've also got an OKI 9850 which I believe is similar to the Xante Ilumina.
We're finding that the magenta drum will get to around 60% life and then apply a magenta cast over the whole sheet.
The only way to fix is to replace the drum and if you're paying for consumables it's a very expensive route.
When it's running OK I'm not sure we could get a saleable print off it due to banding issues.
It is great for envelopes though!

Look for the program iqueue on the xante site and get the free version. It gives the ability to change all type of settings on the ilumina and I've been told it works for the Oki that is the same. By setting different paper weights or charge voltages you should be able to eliminate the toning issue. It works as a print queue that you are able to manipulate.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a whirl!
We're currently changing the weights etc in the printer settings.

I'm not exactly sure what 16pt is, but a conversion chart tells me it is around 340gsm.

On our old KM6500 we used to run a lot of 300gsm silk, mostly simplex, but also duplex (officially out of spec). We would also run 350gsm silk simplex. With the out of spec stock we didn't find jams to be a problem, but the stiffness of some heavier boards could sometimes cause the tail edge to "whip" and not image cleanly. This was more likely to be seen with heavy uncoateds. We would also run 300gsm C1S, which is about 380mic, without problems.

On our present KM8000 it will run 300gsm duplex all day long. 350gsm is in spec for simplex, but will also run duplex without problems. We have tried pushing the machine towards its limits and find we can just about run 350gsm uncoated, which is nearly 420mic, and 330gsm C1S, which is also around 420mic. With the latter, we were just starting to see evidence of "whip", but at the extremity of the sheet, so in the bleed area of 8-up postcards.

Again our conclusion is that it isn't just the weight, or even the thickness, of a board which determines how well it runs, but also factors such as stiffness. Pretty well all these heavier boards are grain short, which help. My guess is that long grain at these weights would probably be difficult to run.

I've run 16pt through a Xerox 260 series (albeit with poor registration).. I'm actually running a 16pt uncoated through a C900 regularly with excellent results.

My 16pt says it is 300gsm, although some are more.

Depending on the customer, you could get a "flimsy", lower gsm 16pt that will run through many digitals.

Get some digital certified 16pt (read: Carolina for starters) and have some vendors put it through digital presses and see what happens.

Besides the 8M/mo, what else would you be running on this machine? It would be easier to make suggestions if we had an estimate of monthly volume.

The C8000 is spec'd to run up to 350 gsm which encompasses all 16pt I'm aware of and a handful of 18pt depending on manufacturer

I guess it depends on the sheet because we have a c901 and we can only simplex a 14pt c2s so I think we would have problem running a 16pt. We've tried 130lb classic crest and it already gives us problem with simplex. Basically right now we are doing a lot of variance on our c901 from booklets 20-200 copies to business cards and postcards. We have people requesting for 16pt business cards but not enough to fill up a run on our sheet fed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back