Digital Labels on a Roll Memjet (Trojan Label as example) versus Hp indigo

Duncan Hyde

All the best for 23' Forum,

Looking for a Digital Label on a Roll Press (production level), can a the Memjet technology like ('Trojan Label' as one example ) compare to the output of the Hp indigo presses hence the competition?

Or in other words what inkjet technology can compare with Hp Indigo label presses.

Would love some feedback from everyone.

Regards,
Duncan

Hi Duncan,

We have a Trojan T2 Label press which has just been refurbished and updated which we may be selling over the next couple of months. It's been great for us and was a great entry into printing digital labels on rolls. We then got a Trojan T4 with a semi rotary finisher on the end, and we're now looking at toner so that we have both technologies (which is why we would be selling our Trojan T2).

It's built to run all day every day, it runs at 9m or 18m per minute, the main limitation is that you have to use inkjet coated material to get a good print result, and that's more expensive than standard materials. The ink costs and consumption are not far off say an Epson Surepress (we've done cost per label comparisons). It will never match a HP indigo in terms of print costs etc, but the initial cost of the machine is probably 7-12 times cheaper for a brand new model.

Feel free to email me if you're interested to hear more, as I mentioned we may well be selling our T2 so we can make room for a second hand toner press to make sure we're covering all bases. If we had more room in our unit we wouldn't actually sell it! My email is [email protected].

Thanks,

Dom

Hi Duncan,

We have a Trojan T2 Label press which has just been refurbished and updated which we may be selling over the next couple of months. It's been great for us and was a great entry into printing digital labels on rolls. We then got a Trojan T4 with a semi rotary finisher on the end, and we're now looking at toner so that we have both technologies (which is why we would be selling our Trojan T2).

It's built to run all day every day, it runs at 9m or 18m per minute, the main limitation is that you have to use inkjet coated material to get a good print result, and that's more expensive than standard materials. The ink costs and consumption are not far off say an Epson Surepress (we've done cost per label comparisons). It will never match a HP indigo in terms of print costs etc, but the initial cost of the machine is probably 7-12 times cheaper for a brand new model.

Feel free to email me if you're interested to hear more, as I mentioned we may well be selling our T2 so we can make room for a second hand toner press to make sure we're covering all bases. If we had more room in our unit we wouldn't actually sell it! My email is [email protected].

Thanks,

Dom
Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the input, I figured the Indigo is in a different league we may just start off with a memjet label press it would be a upgrade from the small toner based machine we got a couple years back to get our feet wet in label production, our main core business is digital and offset sheet-fed also large format.

Regards
Duncan

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the input, I figured the Indigo is in a different league we may just start off with a memjet label press it would be a upgrade from the small toner based machine we got a couple years back to get our feet wet in label production, our main core business is digital and offset sheet-fed also large format.

Regards
Duncan
No problem, that makes sense. I can't really recommend a better memjet press than the Trojans to be honest. Which toner based machine did you go for? Most of the desktop ones have good quality but the print costs are higher than with memjet.

As I mentioned ours has had a refurb and an upgrade so is running like new, so if you were interested it would be a good way of testing the water without the huge intial outlay.

Kind regards,

Dom

No problem, that makes sense. I can't really recommend a better memjet press than the Trojans to be honest. Which toner based machine did you go for? Most of the desktop ones have good quality but the print costs are higher than with memjet.

As I mentioned ours has had a refurb and an upgrade so is running like new, so if you were interested it would be a good way of testing the water without the huge intial outlay.

Kind regards,

Dom
Hi Dom,

We had a Intec Label (out of the UK) with an oki engine + white ink, which I think is now owned by Uninet. It was too expensive to do long runs 10K + and the tech support was really bad.

We are looking into the Trojan 4, but I have a question I don't see any memjet engines offering white ink option also how to do variable data.

Regards,
Duncan

Hi Dom,

We had a Intec Label (out of the UK) with an oki engine + white ink, which I think is now owned by Uninet. It was too expensive to do long runs 10K + and the tech support was really bad.

We are looking into the Trojan 4, but I have a question I don't see any memjet engines offering white ink option also how to do variable data.

Regards,
Duncan

Ahh yes I've seen them. I think the consumable costs are a bit higher than with memjet. We're based in the UK too and have a Trojan T4, it's a great machine and has semi rotary finishing at 32m per minute so we actually use it a lot for that to be honest. We'd probably even sell that and keep the T2 instead as long as we could replace it with a semi rotary finisher. If you wanted to see a cost per label feel free to send something over to us. We use the T4 to print anything up to about 100,000, but if the labels are big then going above 50,000 will start to get a bit expensive, I'd say anything from 2,000 to 50,000 would be ideal.

If I'm honest I don't think any memjet machines do white ink at the moment, although we do variable data, we use software called bartender which is absolutely fine for what we need. Basically sequential numbering and creating barcodes etc. I'm pretty sure the software does a lot more too but we've never needed it.

Any other questions let me know, as I mentioned I'd even sell our T4 providing we could get another semi rotary finisher to replace it as we'd still have the T2 to print.

Kind regards,

Dom

In the realm of digital label printing at the production level, Memjet technology, exemplified by 'Trojan Label,' competes favorably with HP Indigo presses. Memjet's high-speed, single-pass printing offers competitive quality and speed. However, HP Indigo presses, known for their ElectroInk technology, maintain a strong foothold with their unique liquid ink capabilities, delivering exceptional color vibrancy and versatility.

I have tested Trojan printer and quality is far far away from the Indigo's. But you can test Konica's AL230 which I have also testes and has very good results. And in price range is much more affordable than HP one.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back