Digital Press Leases

Fyshy

Hello. Thought I would lean on the vast experience on this forum regarding machine leases. I have only had one in our business so I’m still learning. Our present V80 lease has 24 more months... a proposal was recently given to me to replace the V80 with a V180... less base monthly rate than we now pay, less click charge rate, and payoff present lease. Seems like a good deal that will save us appx $500 a month.
What other factors should I consider?
Thanks

3 Other factors off the top of my head:
1. Guaranteed Base Monthly Copy Counts? (Minimum charge)
2. 'Possible' rate increases over the life of the lease?
3. Read the contract VERY carefully and/or have a lawyer check it as I am sure the lease company had THEIR lawyer look at it.

Are they giving you the same features? Same type of Fiery? It seems quite odd that they can give you a new machine, and payoff 24mo of the old lease for less than the original machine. Does that mean they ripped you off the first time? Are they giving you a used/refurb/showroom unit to achieve this? I have seen this done many times when there is only less than 6mo remaining on the lease and there is some great promo interest rates, but not 24. Are they making it a longer than usual lease term...stretching it to 72mo for example? I also agree with @chriscozi that you should check into the locking of the click rates to make sure they aren't giving you introductory rates that will increase after the first year. It should be stated in writing on the contract that they are locked for 36mo, or however long, and raised x% after year x. Be careful to also watch out for step leases where they give you a low payment the first 6 or 12mo, then increase the remainder. And lastly, watch out for a base service charge that you are required to pay even if you don't run the machine one month.

I think Xerox have been slightly caught out with the V80. The V80 had a fairly short sales window between the J75 and V180. One of it's main missing features which quickly became mainstream is banner printing and through bad timing it means people, like myself, can't match other shops who purchased a V180 or similar within a year or two of each other.

Maybe competitors have copped on to this and are approaching business in the OP's district who run V80s with tempting offers and Xerox are trying to beat them.

Last edited:
Xerox' light production press sales may be lagging given current events. Xerox may also be coming out with an updated V180 model- 2020 would be a Drupa year normally and a lot of new equipment gets announced at Drupa. I would expect new Versant series machines to include a 5th station with metallic and white toner and auto-duplex banner support. Ricoh has 5th color support in the 7200 series peer to the V3100, and both Xerox's Irridesse and C9xxx series support fancy toner, leaving the Versant series lagging a bit in that functionality. Canon, Ricoh, and Minolta have banner duplexing and 30" banner feed trays as options. Aside from the iGen line, Xerox does not support banner media out of trays.

I would like to see a vendor offer an inkjet or toner production press that would cut, feed, and duplex banner media off of a Technau roll feeder or similar accessory.

Good info all. Thanks. They did offer a new upgraded Fiery in the pkg also. I have been approached by Konica as well and maybe Xerox is getting more aggressive. We are a small shop but a relatively busy metro area.

I’ve just been caught by surprise that the average monthly savings based on my present use Is appx $500/month. Once again it seems like a no brainer but I will dig deeper to make sure what I am comparing.
Thanks

I get these offers every so often, and and jumped at a few but not all. Saving 500 per month is huge IMHO. In most of the offers the savings is in the interest rate and fixxing the click charge for the life of the lease! Usually they roll the balance of the existing lease into extended payments of the new machine. I just turned down 0% financing becouse it drug the payments out to long for the next upgrade in equipement I am thinking about (inkjet).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back