Digital printer looking to take on litho

Klew

Hi guys

i am a digital printer with various machines from canons to konica minolta!
Business is booming and would like to make a move into the litho market.
Im currently farming all my long runs out to a local litho printer.

I am new to litho but would like to purchase a entry level 4 color press at a resonable price,
i have read about DI machine as they only need 1 operater (is this true?). This works out for me as i know a pressman that has just lost his job and would be perfect for our company!
I have also read about conven. pressess but how many staff would i need to run the ctp and press etc?

Would be running between 2000 - 8000 SRA3 (17" x 12"? I think that right) sheets daily.

Any advice on what type of press is needed would be great!

Many thanks
klew

Last edited:
question

question

When you say DI do you mean the one sold by Presstek? Or the other better choices to print real high quality litho?

OG

A DI made by Heidelberg or Presstek is designed to be run by just one person, if that printer has some computer knowlege then all the better.

The Heidelberg DI is no longer manufactured (but fully suported) and is very good value on the secondhand market especially as a first DI machine, and the amount of paper you would be running daily would justify looking at this type of machine.
With the DI the job could be loaded onto the RIP (or sent via a network) and then sent straight to press to be imaged and then printed.
The plate consumable price is now quite cheap costing about £3.50 per plate, with 36 plates on a roll and 4 rolls in a box. It takes approx (depending on the machine) about 8 minutes to image and clean the plates.
The DPI / LPI is very good quality and for general 4 colour work you would not see the differences between a DI and a general 4 colour conventional litho machine using CTP apart from the additional extra costs which are involved (ie extra manpower, space, chemicals).
Presstek still manufacturer their DI presses but are quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Continue outsourcing Litho. Business for those guys is bad enough already, why take more away? Glad your business is booming, but you are under the impression that the "digital printing" you do is somehow similar to traditional high-end litho? You're already talking here about hiring at LEAST two new staff, you expect them to bring their expertise to your company and hit the ground running, please tell me you are going to pay them above average wages.

I'd stay out of litho altogether. THere are enough printers who would be willing to partner with you for the small amounts you're talking about.

I'd stay out of litho altogether. THere are enough printers who would be willing to partner with you for the small amounts you're talking about.

Stop your whining dude..

I read a few of your posts, and my guess is you either work for or own a company that is not doing well, or is doing OK and having problems competing with the new guys on the block. That doesn't mean you have to b!tch on this forum everytime you decide to post.

These forums are a place for people to come and ask about printers, and what machine works best for their situation; not for some irritable shop manager to give business strategy advice.

Last edited:
Hi Scot,

First of all I doubt you're qualified to determine what this forum is for. As a matter of fact....many people come here for business strategy advice. (including you)

Secondly I CAN tell you that it's not a place that anyone should have to worry about voicing their opinions. You may not agree with it, but it's no reason to personally attack him.

You've been willing to take advantage of our years of experience to answer all of your questions....sometimes you have to hear things you don't want to hear.

If you have a different opinion on this subject then post it.

Have a nice day,
Dave

Last edited:
first of all mrheidelberg thanks for the info!!

When you say DI do you mean the one sold by Presstek? Or the other better choices to print real high quality litho?

OG

yea direct imaging, but not necessarily the ones sold by presstek. when you say better choices what do you mean?

Continue outsourcing Litho. Business for those guys is bad enough already, why take more away? Glad your business is booming, but you are under the impression that the "digital printing" you do is somehow similar to traditional high-end litho? You're already talking here about hiring at LEAST two new staff, you expect them to bring their expertise to your company and hit the ground running, please tell me you are going to pay them above average wages.

thanks for your comment but im not worried about taking business away from other litho printers, im not in business to be nice and let other printers earn money i could be earning, thats what business is all about, and my business needs to grow and litho printing is were i will succeed, (hopefully!!)
im also under no impression that the digital printing i do is somehow similar to traditional high-end litho, ive been outsourcing for years and do know the difference and partnered with many, but all litho printers have to start somewhere and i feel this is my starting point, do you expect me to stay in JUST digital all my life? i dont!!
And any pressmen i hire will be paid according to experience!

thanks again for your comment

I know the number of impressions is small but once my client know im printing litho in house and not out sourcing, im sure i could double my turnover in no time,

any other advice about a entering the litho market would be greatly appreciated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back