Distiller Option

GregB

Hiall.

I'm looking at creating a new distiller setting for our newspaper to send to clients which converts all RGB, Spot etc to CMYK using ISOnewspaper30v4 without shifting colours too much and to reduce inkweight to our press setting of 245.

I've just started mucking around with different settings based on Press Quality. Any ideas greatly appreciated please.

GregB

One could start at the Ghent PDF Workgroup:

GWG | Application Settings | Application Settings

And then alter a suitable Distiller .joboptions file such as "Acrobat_Distiller 7-9_NewspaperAds_3v3"

Or one may decide to alter a default Adobe ISO standard such as PDF/X-1a .joboption file (see attached).

Do you have a Workflow or PDF system in place (Prinergy, PitStop etc)?

A .joboptions file will only get you so far, clients may still provide spot colours or 4C images converted for much higher total ink limits and lower dot gain etc. If you don't have Workflow software, then Acrobat Pro may get a workout - applying preflight profiles, single fix-ups, ink manager or manual colour conversions etc.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• Distiller_ISONewspaper30v4.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
1. Why print to PostScipt ?

2. Distiller does not offer much in the way of "converts all RGB, Spot etc to CMYK using ISOnewspaper30v4 without shifting colours too much and to reduce inkweight to our press setting of 245."

3. Consider saving to PDF and sending this through something like ALWAN CMYK Optimizer.

Alwan Color Expertise - March 2010: Alwan Launches New Version of CMYK Optimizer

Optimizer is a really good product. It will spare you tons of heartache.

Optionally, you'll do better with files exported to PDF and then you can perform the color transforms inside Acrobat. This will give you the opportunity to preserve grayscale elements. I'm afraid that trying to handle the color transform in Distiller will yield lots of 4-color blacks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back