docucolor 242 printing stretched output suddenly - anyone seen this?

Island

Suddenly my docucolor 242 is printing stretched output when I print to 12x18 heavy1 or plain from either tray 6 (oversize high capacity feeder) or tray 5 (bypass tray.)

Oddly it started doing this on heavy1 only (but was fine on coated1 or plain1.) I thought it was an isolated glitch, but now tonight it is doing the same thing on plain1 (or custom1 set to the same weight as plain.) The output actually stretches off the 18" and the machine loads a second sheet and prints the remaining stretched 25% onto the next sheet. A copy is fine, but a print is not.

It does the same thing printing from different apps including adobe reader from a pdf file.

Printing to 11x17 plain is still fine from the same trays. Right now, coated1 is still printing unstretched, but that's less than idea printing onto plain paper and since the problem "spread" from heavy1 to plain today I'm confused and worried that it will "spread further".

My docucolor has the bustled fiery rip.

Any ideas? I'm stumped and need to run a good number of prints before Monday. Help!

Sorry Steve - I didn't see your message until now as I was up to my neck in work. I took a shot in the dark, and lucked out. I didn't think it would work but I reapplied the original three patches which I had originally applied in 12/08 (the latest ones available on the xerox site.) After applying and rebooting the three (one at a time) all was well again - problem solved. I see there were around a dozen auto-updates that the fiery applied automatically to itself. I'm guessing it was the 7/10 auto-update which has a name "cumulative patch for field issues 1-1275R4 and 1-125RZU) though it could have been the 7-3 update which sounds harmless "username displayed in CWS is different when printing from Command Prompt) -- those two seem to be in the right time period for when I first saw the glitch (though it was only for heavy1 paper I noticed it at the end of July.) Then on 8-29 I noticed it affecting plain as well which is weird how the glitch "spread." For now I've turned off auto-updates.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back