Does flattening a transparency affect type?

semi-tech

We had a job going to our Canon ImagePRESS C10000VP and the PDF was using transparency on a background photo which has knockout type on top. I flattened the transparency, and the type appears heavier in spots; under a loup it looks to be spreading in areas where the background has more screen. Could the flattening have something to do with that? The only difference between the original PDF and mine is flattening; on screen the flattened background is slightly darker than the non-flattened one, but the type appears identical.

Yes it can cause that. Flattening type where there is transparency can change the type where the transparency is to an image which will make it bolder. You may try a different method of flattening. How did you flatten it? Sometimes printing it directly to the device will give better results than flattening it manually.

It should depend if the type is part of the transparency group, you should be able to see that in Acrobat if you open the Flattener preview and ask it to highlight 'all affected objects'.
If the text is knocking out then it probably is part of it.

I asked the bindery supervisor to run a couple of copies of the non-flattened file when he has a chance, on the same stock preferably. That should be instructive. I used Flattener Preview in Acrobat to flatten the job. As said before, it looks fine on screen. But yes, if I preview flattened objects only, the type-heavy side of the PDF is highlighted. If I choose all affected objects, the whole page is highlighted. I wondered if flattening was the problem; that appears confirmed. This is the first (and last) time I flatten anything going to the Canon. Thanks, guys. And I will plan to check the link namelessentity provided.

Good plan but please read the instructions on the Output Suite. It can be very useful, but you should know what it is for, and what it is not for!

Good plan but please read the instructions on the Output Suite. It can be very useful, but you should know what it is for, and what it is not for!
I downloaded the Ghent Group PDF/X Workflow PDF. Is that the one? Will start reading when I get a chance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back