Does Quark actually do this better than INDD??

kaiserwilhelm

Ever gotten in a 17 x 11 spread that the customer did you the tremendous "favor" of putting page 1 on the left and page 3 on the right?
You have to run it through manufacturing as a right angle fold slit nest - so you need page 4 on the left and 1 on the right.
To accomplish this, you really just want to get 4 individual, single pages of 8.5 x 11
In Quark (all the way back in 1999 as I recall), you simply drug a blank page to the right of each spread. Then, you changed your page size to 8.5 x 11.
Bazinga. Quark "slid" the right hand page right on over into the blank 8.5 x 11

ANY ideas how to do this with INDD - SAFELY?

Idea: Make a PDF and crop to single pages in acrobat (adjusting/duplicating pages for the spread first if you need to add bleed at the spine that should be on the outer edges).

One way to accomplish this is to first duplicate each spread by dragging its icon in the Pages palette to the "New Page" icon at the bottom of the palette. Then you can use the Page Tool to select the first page and change its size to 8.5x11 (this is different than changing it in Document Setup. You can even set which side of the page you want to anchor to. This is important, because if you were to change the page size in Document Setup it always adds or subtracts to all sides evenly). The you do the same thing to the other pages, paying attention to which side you anchor to.

Admittedly, this is less straightforward than your Quark solution, but it works.

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 11.42.36 AM.png.jpg

One way to accomplish this is to first duplicate each spread by dragging its icon in the Pages palette to the "New Page" icon at the bottom of the palette. Then you can use the Page Tool to select the first page and change its size to 8.5x11 (this is different than changing it in Document Setup. You can even set which side of the page you want to anchor to. This is important, because if you were to change the page size in Document Setup it always adds or subtracts to all sides evenly). The you do the same thing to the other pages, paying attention to which side you anchor to.

Admittedly, this is less straightforward than your Quark solution, but it works.

I never knew about this. I may try it next time I'm faced with this situation. I had been importing the spreads into a 8.5x11 doc and closing the box to the desired size, then exporting the PDF. Down and dirty but it worked.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back