Slit Nest / Right Angle Fold

kaiserwilhelm

OK, I am SO excited over what I just did that I have to tell somebody.
Now, to those of you that have been doing this since V 5 (INDD), please do not throw water on my parade.

Plenty of times, we get in 17 x 11 art that has P1 on the left and P3 on the right. Then, the corresponding backs on the next 17 x 11
Well, sometimes our presses and manufacturing plan require us to do a slit nest via right angel fold. Thus, I need P1 on the left and P4 on the right. Also, I need a .25 or .375 inch gutter thrown inbetween.
For years, the solution has been to group everything on a page with a bounding box. Then, slide the pages. Safe, but it screwed up all of my different laser layers. And I have a LOT of those.

Well, enter the "Page Tool"
I remembered that ONLY decent little trick in Quark was that you could put a blank next to a 17 x 11, then tell the page size to be 8.5 x 11...and voila, like magic, you had two separate pages to move around.
So, I messed with "allow pages to shuffle" and "allow spreads to shuffle" and got a "Facing pages" layout. I put in two blanks to the right of each of my good 17 x 11 pages.
I then told the first page on the left to become 8.5. I did the same for the second. The third I told to become .5 inches (all with the Page Tool)
I then shuffled the .5 page inbetween P1 and P2
Finally, I move P3 and P4 where i need them to be
Bingo! A spread that was 17.5 inches. Layers all fine. Life is good. Grand total of 3 minutes?

I can now honestly say that Quark has absolutely nothing on INDD. Before 4pm today, they had this one little trick.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back