Does this happen to you in illustrator CS4?

prepressguru

Every once and a while I will get a file with some strange layer pallet problem. When I copy and paste something to a different layer all the sub layers are now displayed on the layer pallet. Resulting to having to collapse the layer back to the previous view.

Anyone else seen this, and of course how do you fix it?

p

Not seen it. Is there a pattern? Do you paste above or below items? On a blank layer? On a layer with appearance attributes? etc? How often?

Ok I went back to check my file. It is not when copy and pasting. But when I select some artwork on a layer all the sub layers expand for that layer. And only for layers which would have been from the original artwork. New layers I have created are ok.

Also the other strange thing about the file. When you first open it all the sub layers are expanded. Even when I know I have collapsed when I finished.

It is not the first time I have seen this. Besides this particular job has 3 illustrator files and they all do the same thing.

p

Yes, I have seen this happen where even though a file is saved with all layers and sublayers collapsed, one or more may be expanded when the file is re-opened. It is a curious thing but I can't tell you why it happens.
-Dan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back