Dot gain question?

Gordo~
so in the "Reflective Value" that is returned, it's measured on a more lightness-darkness scale, versus a chromatic range?
ok.

On the start of the ongoing "To Linearize, or NOT to Linearize" debate...
Linearization of the plate becomes, with the current color management software, an added step that may or may not really have any bearing on calibration. Here is what I understand. When you throw your test patterns on press and then read them into the analyzing software for curve adjustment, the software will adjust the curve to the correct color regardless of if your plates are linear or not. And, when you need to check/tweak your curves, you run a new test patch and read it in again. since you are usually adjusting for environmental shifts, Linearizing the plate first is just an added step that will be accommodated for in the curves anyways.
So, with current technology, Linearizing is basically a wasted step. Took a LOT of debate for me to conceded that.

--->>Thank Alois! Those were really interesting reads!

Last edited:
Gordo~
so in the "Reflective Value" that is returned, it's measured on a more lightness-darkness scale, versus a chromatic range?
ok.

Yes

On the start of the ongoing "To Linearize, or NOT to Linearize" debate...
Linearization of the plate becomes, with the current color management software, an added step that may or may not really have any bearing on calibration. Here is what I understand. When you throw your test patterns on press and then read them into the analyzing software for curve adjustment, the software will adjust the curve to the correct color regardless of if your plates are linear or not. And, when you need to check/tweak your curves, you run a new test patch and read it in again. since you are usually adjusting for environmental shifts, Linearizing the plate first is just an added step that will be accommodated for in the curves anyways.
So, with current technology, Linearizing is basically a wasted step. Took a LOT of debate for me to conceded that.

Yes. In probably 95% of cases linearizing CtP plates first is a waste of time.

This post explains it in more detail.
The Print Guide: To linearize your CtP plates or not?

One point though...when you adjust a plate curve you are adjusting a tone curve - not color. Yes, different tones result in different color, but when speaking about the process it is best to be precise in order to avoid confusion.

best, gordo

thank you!
that clears up a couple of mysteries for me in regards to dot gain. And thanks for the correction. I will remember that. adjusting tone NOT color.
;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back