Double-parallel impo problem Preps

Prepper

Ok here goes, we print books 5.5 x 8.5 format on our Harris web press, black text pages only, and the format coming off our press is double-parallel folded, so we have 2 books, head to foot. Finished sig size is 5.5" x 17.5" basically. I have always used Preps since version 1. As long as I'm printing 2up (2 copies of the same book) there's no problem, I have a template numbered correctly and it has a 16pg sig (which is actually 2-16s two up) a 24pg sig and a 32pg sig. It is set up as saddle-stitched and works fine with auto select.

The problem comes when, on most of our jobs and for obvious efficiency reasons, we want to print 2 different books together on that layout instead of a single book 2up. As long as it's a single sig job, 16pg, 24pg or 32pg it works fine also, however if it was a 2 sig job, 16,24 or 16,32 or any other combination of sigs it would not work automatically set up as saddle-stitched, if I put the pages in the run list in logical order, book #1 pages 1-40 and then book #2 pages 1-40. The workaround was I did them as 2 different jobs, one for each sig, and figured out which pages would fall into each sig manually and put only those pages into the run list.

My son now handles all of the text impo work here, he had found that by setting up a template with the sigs built out into it with all the possible book lengths and using multi-sections and numbering the first pages of each section as they needed to be and using come & go or perfect bound, I forget which, instead of saddle-stitched that we could once again put the pages in order in the run list logically and get things working automatically in one job again.

Now, Preps 6 comes along and while multi-sections work, we haven't been able to find a way to set the first page number of the section to whatever we want it to be. So we're kind of back where we started.

Also, I'm looking at this and saying this is simple, black and white text only jobs, pdf, is there a way to automate this in Preps, with or without JDF, so that we would simply drop a 40pg book, or two 40pg books if they match up into a job, or product\assembly, that's already set up and have it done and finished. Or, should we just have a Master job saved for each combo\possibility and just open that master job and replace the placeholders with the actual files?

Any and all suggestions\ideas appreciated but I need to keep it in Preps cause that's what we have, unless you know of a simple way of doing this with a much simpler (inexpensive) program?

Thanks

I know the kind of preoblem you are talking about. I have duplicates of all my saddle stiched templates as sheetwise, to be able ot mix and match.
I also would make a 2x12 page webb:
with covers on web one (1,2, 11,12+ 13,14,23,25)
3-10 of book one as web 2
3-10 (15-22) of book two as web three

The web function letts you build small setts that you can number. Did similar soloution for other numbers.
Makes more templates but gives operators who are not used to numbering jobs a safer way to select them.

Hello... read this thread and wanted to comment. What you describe in the first part of your post (two of the same book on one layout) is something that we could automat with our inpO2 Automation product for Acrobat. That would be simple and this product is under $2K to give you an idea of price.

The second part would be harder given the constrains within within the Wizard part of inpO2 as it can't handle two different pagination sequences as you need in the second part. This however is very easy in Dynastrip by assigning each part of the layout to different pagination sequences. Then it treats each book on the same layout as two different jobs. Also, this is something that can be easily automated with Dynastrip. But this is a much pricer option (about $6,500).

Just for your information. :)

I have not used Preps 6, but I have looked through the different demos on ecentral.kodak.com. They have some really useful information on how to get Multi-Sections to work. It doesn't look like it would take that long to get figured out.

Prepper,

Impostrip can easily do this, on top on complete automation and a lot more.
(gang multiple layouts, multiple binding methods, multiple sizes, on the same job)
+++ it is an unlimited users version MAC/Windows.

We can offer to take back you Preps (buy it back from you at FULL PRICE) and apply the credit towards our solution. You'll be able to import your Preps templates in Impostrip.
Moreover, we'll offer a free training session for you.

If you have questions, contact me directly.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
raymond @ imposition.com

www. imposition.com

We do this a good bit as well with Preps We have built they layout accordingly. I have attached a screen shot of 2 48 pages gangs. Pages 1-48 is the fist book and 49-96 is the second. We use the web numbering so it notes the sig (Sig $WEB). The only problem we have found is that you can not shingle accurately.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    120.9 KB · Views: 211
Shingling

Shingling

Johnny_Jay

"The only problem we have found is that you can not shingle accurately."

Yes that is a problem for us too. I was thinking of looking at the page shifts on jobs that do this right using auto select and then making a job up with placeholders and assigning those shifts accordingly and saving that as a master job to drop my files into but haven't got around to actually doing it yet to see if it's possible.

Terry

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back