DoubleProof Manager

GinSu

I need some help. The hard drive that was running our DoubleProof Manager software died yesterday. I've installed the software onto a new drive but I can't get "Device Utilities" to recognize my inkjet device. The manual describes how to set the "Comms Device" for "lpt1" or a shared printer but I'm not using either. I've got a JetDirect card connecting the HP to the rest of the network. I've tried the setting it to the IP address and the IP_address port, but with these setting RIP Manager says it's printing but it isn't printing.

What should the "Comms Device" setting be? I called Fuji Tech (their software & hardware, right?) and they said to call Tekgraf who is not returning my calls. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I'll even email you a beer!

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have never used doubleproof manager but have installed many units using different software (flipper) but have a good guess as to what your problem is.

If the manual describes using a shared printer, then I think you must use this method. Even if printer is on the network. The shared printer would just be a method to send the RTL data.

So to do this, install an HP printer driver, when selecting the port, use standard tcp-ip port and enter the ip address of the printer in there. Print a windows test job to the printer to make sure it works.

Then you need to share this printer. In your doubleproof manager you would then need to select this shared printer as your printer.

I am also guessing it allows you to put in an IP address. This I am presuming is to monitor for SNMP messages (not for printing). This is so the software can know when the printer is ready to send the 2nd side of the job. (if you did not have this, it would just print the second side on the same sheet as the roll)

RH

I need some help. The hard drive that was running our DoubleProof Manager software died yesterday. I've installed the software onto a new drive but I can't get "Device Utilities" to recognize my inkjet device. The manual describes how to set the "Comms Device" for "lpt1" or a shared printer but I'm not using either. I've got a JetDirect card connecting the HP to the rest of the network. I've tried the setting it to the IP address and the IP_address port, but with these setting RIP Manager says it's printing but it isn't printing.

What should the "Comms Device" setting be? I called Fuji Tech (their software & hardware, right?) and they said to call Tekgraf who is not returning my calls. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I'll even email you a beer!

Thanks in advance.

You'd think that'd work

You'd think that'd work

But it didn't.

The DuobleProof Manager was installed on a drive separate from the Win2000 OS. Back in 2002, when 30 gig drives were not small iPods, our prepress consultants configured this Noblis (sp?) box with four 1.8Ghz Xeon processors to drive DoubleProof Manager 1.6.1 and BestColor 4.x on two separate drives (we're sending 300dpi CMYK TIFFs to DPM and 300dpi Sep'd EPS to BC). And, within the abilities of our RIP system, that made sense at the time and still works (or I should say "worked") well.

The drive with the OS and BestColor is still operational and the server still boots up. The HP printer is not configured to be shared, and wasn't before the "DuoProof" drive died. I can successfully print a test page from the printer properties of the HP printer. I did trying sharing the printer and using "\\(server)\(shared printer)" using the correct server and shared printer names in Device Utilities, but that has resulted in "Failed to find inkjet device" errors. I've tried using the JetDirect device name, "NBI250AE5", in various combinations with the printer name and address and all resulted in the same "Failed to find inkjet device" errors.

I suspect the the IP address and IP_address port are a step in the right direction because they don't fail, they just don't print. Perhaps it's a matter of syntax, should I include a colon or ":80" or some other obscure port reference?

I recognize that I'm using antiquated software (six years is antiquated?!?) and don't have a contract with TekGraf/New Horizons, but after two days of leaving messages without a call back I'm thinking they just sell, not support. Fuji at least had the decency/professionalism to call back within two hours to say call TekGraf!

I'm considering installing DPM on our other Win2K server, but that box is already saddled with a few other mission critical tasks. Not to mention that pushing 200Mb+ files through two servers (and two switches, unfortunately) instead of one will degrade network performance noticeably. I did try to install the shared printer on the other Win2K box, but it failed saying that the drivers didn't exist for installation (even though both are Win2K Intel servers). Despite the hit to network traffic, on Sunday I'll try installing DPM on the 2nd server w/o installing the printer on it. Cross your fingers!

hagar, your help confirms that I'm trying to move in the right direction. If what I try Sunday don't work then its time to blowup the phones at Tekgraf/New Horizon!

If anyone still using DPM with a JetDirect HP printer could shutdown their DoubleProof software, "Start" Device Utilities and report back their "Comms Device" setting, I'll email you a shot of Jägermeister too!

Last edited:
Sorry my ramblings did not help, The port Address of the jetdirect card BTW is : 9100 using telnet, which is how most systems communicate with HP units

RH

But it didn't.
I suspect the the IP address and IP_address port are a step in the right direction because they don't fail, they just don't print. Perhaps it's a matter of syntax, should I include a colon or ":80" or some other obscure port reference?

I recognize that I'm using antiquated software (six years is antiquated?!?) and don't have a contract with TekGraf/New Horizons, but after two days of leaving messages without a call back I'm thinking they just sell, not support. Fuji at least had the decency/professionalism to call back within two hours to say call TekGraf!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back