Dry Erase Board Laminating Options

hindzy

I'm getting conflicting messages from trade binderies about which lamination to use for a dry erase board application. I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting different messages.

I know there's a more expensive film laminate manufactured specifically for Dry Erase products but most binderies are recommending either Polypropylene and Polyester Laminates.

What is the major difference between polypropylene and polyester laminate for dry erase use? Is one laminate more difficult than the other for the bindery to apply? Any ideas why one bindery would prefer one over the other? What's so special about the expensive Dry Erase film laminate?

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
Dry Erase facts and options.

Dry Erase facts and options.

Dear Ron,

I am a manufacturer of dry erase films. I will try to clear some things up for you.

There are 3 basic types of dry erase products. All having their advantages.

First there is plain oriented polypropylyne. OPP is cheap and has good clarity. It is mostly used for cheap, throw away type products. OPP can work OK for a while, but if the dry erase marker stays on the OPP for a while you can experience ghosting. This is where you try to erase the marker and you can still see the image a little bit. As the dry erase board gets older ghosting gets worse and worse. OPP erases OK, but with age erasability becomes worse. OPP can be run on most thermal laminating machines. OPP is most commonly made in 1.1 - 1.7 mil total thickness. OPP ranges in price from $0.12-$0.16 / MSI or thousand square inches. Price is for film only.

Plain Polyester is not reccomended for dry erase. It does not erase well.

Coated Polyester is a product that Protect-all Inc. makes and is what I reccomend for dry erase. It has excellent clarity. It is very scratch resistant. Our product has no ghosting after years of use. It can run on all laminating machines. It holds the image from both water and solvent based markers very well. Coated Polyester is normally made in a 2 mil. It ranges in price from $0.62 - $0.70 / MSI. Worth the extra money.

Fluorinated Films are great for dry erase. They are VERY expensive. They do not have good clarity.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Please email me for any additional help. I can also help you find a laminator that will do the lamination for you.

Tony

Last edited:
For short term dry erase there are UV curable coatings that will do the job. They will show ghosting much faster than the laminates though.

any printing issues that need to be addressed when using a film laminate for dry erase applications?

David,

There are really no special printing issues. You should follow the same rules that you use for anything that is being laminated. The Dry Erase Laminate that Protect-all Inc. manufactures is regular laminate film with a dry erase coating.

Tony

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back