DSC2, Freehand & Distiller solutions anyone?

anpuZA

Hi

I know there are probably a great deal of old posts about this, but I don't know how unique my problem is.

Currently we have artwork coming from a client. It was done in Freehand MX and sent to us
as a pdf - which had been distilled on press quality.

There are several instances of the DSC2 file being used as a backdrop with vector overprint. But in the pdf the DSC2 file (which should be 3 different pantones) comes out CMYK. We tried several different settings (the client did, they are required to give "print ready" pdf files.) the old pdf-x1a std actually distilled the dsc2 part of the artwork as one of the pantones used. but the rest failed misarebly.

I have to admit complete ignorance of this file standard, is there any way we can send the file or make the file (or even distill it - although i gather it shouldnt work with distiller) ready for the company who does our Computer to plate?

Help would very much be appreciated, and once again please pardon my ignorance.

Regards

JC

DCS is a pre-separated file format (Desktop Color Separation) and will need a lot of "intelligence" from the outputting program to generate a composite version. Neither FreeHand nor QuarkXPress are "smart" enough to output a placed DCS as composite and just uses the composite part of the DCS, which is just a small 4-color preview (if the DCS originated from PhotoShop).

One sure way to get DCS2 files with spot colors out of FreeHand (and QuarkXPress) is to output as separations. That will definately not work with any PDF/X-format, as pre-separated pages are forbidden in that standard.

Other ways to get a composite PDF:

- use DCSMerger from Impressed (Impressed - Professionelle Lösungen für Publishing und Druckvorstufe) and merge your DCS2-files so that you can output as composite without problems (PhotoShop does not do this unfortunately, which is what DCSMerger was made for).

- or place the DCS in InDesign CS (or later) and output as PDF, save as EPS from Acrobat; InDesign CS (or later) has a DCS-merger builtin and will merge it on output.

- or open the DCS in PhotoShop and save as PSD to place in QuarkXPress or try saving as PhotoShop PDF and converting it to EPS with Acrobat to replace the DCS in FreeHand

Solution I think

Solution I think

Hi

Thanks!

Well, I have solved it another way, unless Im wrong.
I opened the pdf file supplied in Illustrator, which opened without incident. We the replaced the cmyk version with the pantone scan and I did one SAVE AS PDF and one DISTILLED, both had the seps in the pdf colour check correct. so nothing except the colour bars and crop marks were in CMYK. We sent this file to the RIP and as it is 22h15 right now, I assume all went well. But ofcourse this is completely new to me... so maybe not.

In which case you all are welcome to fly to SA if you're not here and come and have a few drinks with me in the bar of my choice.

regards

moi

I would guess that Illustrator can now merge placed DCS-files as well.
Obviously there is always another way, glad that you have found one that is working for you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back