Duplexing Gloss Book...

kdw75

Salesman of course says that a better machine will fix all our problems, but I am wanting more than empty promises.

Does a machine like the C or J75 have any better luck duplexing coated stock?

Our 560 seems to jam about every 10 -20 sheets now that the humidity is down around 35%. The jams occur on the right side of the machine where it drops the sheet before doing the second side. The rollers are clean and when you pull out the sheet it is full of static.

We have tried matte and gloss, but both seem to have regular jams when duplexing. If you just run one side at a time it runs like a champ.

Our C75 has been running in the 30% RH range ever since the temp's dropped 6 weeks back. No issues, and never had one. My concern is that the paper path of the 75 vs 550 is pretty similar.

Our salesman says that the C75 has totally different parts and what not internally even though the paper path is the same. That is what allows the C75 do duplex heavy papers. I of course am skeptical, but your experience gives me some hope that either it is a better design or that ours has something wrong with it that can be fixed.

Is there a problem attending a live sales demo of a run length that will answer this question, using your file and similar stock (no demo model, reference site demo etc)? Give the vendor plenty of notice to set things up.

Stephen Marsh

KDW... The first thing you need to do is take about 3/4 of what your salesman said and forget it. I will guarantee he/she has never run a machine beyond 100 prints on 28lb text. I have yet to meet one who has any production experience, last week he could have been selling used cars! They will tell you ANYTHING to make a sale!!! Get a CED and READ it. It will go over all that the MANUFACTURE will guarantee. This is NOT the same as the salesman said... If you read the CED it will fully explain what the environment needs to be for the best performance of the machine. You also need to make sure you are running digital stocks. The have a different moisture content than offset. If I were you I would also look into humidity control.

KDW... The first thing you need to do is take about 3/4 of what your salesman said and forget it. I will guarantee he/she has never run a machine beyond 100 prints on 28lb text. I have yet to meet one who has any production experience, last week he could have been selling used cars! They will tell you ANYTHING to make a sale!!! Get a CED and READ it. It will go over all that the MANUFACTURE will guarantee. This is NOT the same as the salesman said... If you read the CED it will fully explain what the environment needs to be for the best performance of the machine. You also need to make sure you are running digital stocks. The have a different moisture content than offset. If I were you I would also look into humidity control.

Our humidity is somewhat controlled. It fluctuates between 35 and 45%. On one hand the service guys always warn about keeping the paper dry so that the toner sticks well, but I always worry about static in dry paper.

Keeping in mind that I'm a manufacturer's rep you can take my comments with as many grains of salt you want. I would ditto most of what Craig and Stephen said (except the part about the sales reps, Ricoh's commercial printer reps have tons of experience in that space). But yeah, read through the CED if you can get it and by all means get them to let you run an actual job on a demo machine, use digital stock and your file, take note of the click-to-clunk times and analyze the output quality throughout the run. If the weather is crazy (wet outside, dry inside e.g.) you might consider dropping off the paper the day before to get it acclimated to their environment. Get other commercial printer references and talk to their operators if possible.

I have a 252 and run 100lb gloss text all the time. Sometimes I run 80lb. What settings are you using. Plain setting (with Enhanced Gloss enabled) will simplex gloss stock but it will have trouble duplexing it. I always use Heavyweight 1 for both 80lb and 100lb duplexing (with NO Enhanced Gloss). Craig is right, are you using a digital sheet? If you are, it may be the brand. Have you had problems with that brand of paper before?

Status electricity makes printing fun. I would be more worried about not enough moisture in the air than too much moisture. Toner adhesion problems due to excessive moisture sounds stupid. Although, printing in a sauna would be extremely difficult and would present a whole host of problems aside from toner adhesion. Anyway, just do a tape test to make sure the toner doesn't go anywhere.

We have had our new C75 for 3 weeks and have put a 104,000 clicks on it and I must say that the difference between our old 560 and our new C75 is amazing. This machine has duplexed reliably no matter what we have thrown at it. Everything from 350gsm gloss cover down to 70 gloss text have been duplexed without a hiccup. After the bad experience with the 560, when it came to duplexing, I wasn't expecting too much, but I am pleasantly surprised.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back