Duplo DC445 Cutting Out

gazfocus

I’ve got a Duplo DC-445 that I use solely for creasing 350gsm greeting cards. It’s my favourite machine in our entire business as it just works, no faffing, just does what it should.

However, it has developed a fault where when it starts the process of lifting the input bed to start feeding the paper, it trips something and it cuts out. Flicking the switch off and on will power it back up and then as soon as I press the start button, it trips again.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas of where to look for an issue?

It could be anything, but I would start with looking at....

1. switch the outlet it is plugged into
2. check the power cord
3. check the breaker (if you can)
4. see if it has a loose wire that is catching on the moving input bed
If not one of these, it is probably internal, maybe a loose wire.

Flicking the switch off and on will power it back up and then as soon as I press the start button, it trips again.
By "flicking the switch", do you mean the power switch on the Duplo, or a breaker on your distribution board?
If the latter, this suggests there is some stray current above 30mA (or whatever value, given your location) between line and neutral, causing a residual current device to trip.

Try the machine on a circuit with nothing else connected, as sometimes - particularly where there are multiple switch mode power supplies connected, an otherwise acceptable small leakage to the CPC can tip the balance as the sum of all device leakages on the circuit is greater than the rating of the RCD/RCBO

If you have a friendly sparks with a clamp meter, this fault can be very simply confirmed.

Sorry, I meant flicking the switch on the Duplo itself.

I’ve not got a circuit without anything connected, without unplugging the workshop PC’s etc, but will spend some time over the weekend trying it on its own circuit.

After today though, I am leaning towards it being a case of catching on something though or a connection being loose internally. Sometimes the machine will run fine and do a few sheets before cutting out, sometimes it will do an entire job and not cut out, other times (like today) it just cut out as soon as the input bed started to lift. I wonder whether the vibration of the bed moving is causing something to loosen.

Sorry, I meant flicking the switch on the Duplo itself.

I’ve not got a circuit without anything connected, without unplugging the workshop PC’s etc, but will spend some time over the weekend trying it on its own circuit.
No need to do the separate circuit test in that case... that was only relevant if a CPD was opening on the board.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back