ECRM SCSI error

chris76

We have an ECRM Marlin 2500 (rabadged Konica EV Jetsetter 6200). It was working fine until a few days ago when a SCSI BIOS error started appearing when we boot up the RIP computer. The BIOS detects the ECRM Pelbox at ID #6, and then a message says "Improper termination or faulty cable detected. Please rectify."

We have taken the following steps to try and remedy the problem, with no success:

1. Replaced HD68 to HD50 external SCSI adaptor.
2. Replaced SCSI cable between RIP computer and imagesetter (an HD50 to Centronics 50).
3. Replaced Adaptec AHA-2944UW differential SCSI card with another one just like it.
4. Put the SCSI card in a different computer.
5. Put in an Adaptec AHA-2940UW single-ended SCSI card with a Paralan single-ended to differential converter. (The BIOS sees the ECRM Pelbox at ID #6, but it does not show up in the Windows device manager. I do not know if this is related to the original problem, or is a separate issue with the differential converter.)

At this point, I am thinking that the differential SCSI board in the recorder must be faulty. Has anyone else had this problem occur on one of the Marlin series imagesetters? Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
To see devices on a scsi bus under windows check these registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 0\Logical Unit Id 0

Hi Chris

We had a similar problem with our MAKO 46 recently. Possible causes could be room temperature and all the other problems you have listed. We tried all of them and the problem persisted, till I learned that ECRM has a new retrofit usb device. We replaced the same immediately after. I can assure you since then we have no problem. In my opinion this should be the solution to your problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back