Electric clamp or hydrualic?

Tom A. Hawk

Registered Users
Does anyone have an opinion on the electric vs hydrualic clamps on cutters? I notice a nice price difference in the two, but I am hearing that electric works just fine... Any advise is appreciated! (Specifically we are looking at the MBM Triumph cutters)

Not sure how it's handled on electric cutters, but I know all hydraulic cutter have the ability to adjust the amount of clamp pressure. This is important when you don't want clamp marks on softer stocks, or when you need more pressure on coated/slick finished stocks.

Looks like you don't have alot to cut, right? or space is an issue? If you are aiming low price, I will buy a used manual trimmer, they work and they are way more solid than these "toy" trimmer. If you aiming for long term, get a small Polar.

Hydraulic is always better, no doubt about it.

We have plenty to cut, thats not the issue. Neither is the space. I've just heard that electric clamps just as durable. So before I buy another cutter I was interested in hearing both sides. I would really be interested in hearing from someone who currently uses an electric clamp cutter..

Looks like you don't have alot to cut, right? or space is an issue? If you are aiming low price, I will buy a used manual trimmer, they work and they are way more solid than these "toy" trimmer. If you aiming for long term, get a small Polar.

Hydraulic is always better, no doubt about it.

I can't really put the answer in better words but let me add a bit to it... Make sure you have the power to run it. After you have that squared away try and locate a Technician for the Cutter. I am a huge fan of the Polar Knives but if you end up with a good local Technician find out what he recommends and start making some decisions. Polars hold the best value period. But I have run just about all cutters and they all had their quirks. And if you can justify it bring a gun to a knife fight and buy the biggest you can afford.

Good luck,
JW

I've serviced both. Electric clamps are not as reliable or precise as hydraulic. If you are just cutting bond and doing simple cuts electric is OK.

The electric cutters use a belt and pully to drive the clamp up and down. With this system you are not able to achieve the same level of clamping capacity as you would with a Hydraulic cutter. Also you are not able to adjust clamping pressure on these electric cutters. If you have the space and budget go with the Hydraulic cutter for the following reasons:
-You get variable clamping pressure (including a higher upper level clamp pressure and lower lower level clamp pressure)
-A foot pedal for pre-clamping your work - you can then check to see exactly where the knife will come down.
-A false clamp plate (to limit marking the top sheets when cutting)
-Automatic advancement from program steps after each knife cycle (instead of having to press start)
-Plus some build features including construction of the hydrailic cutters with a single one piece frame ensuring longevity, replaceable gibb plates also increasing the working life of the unit.

If space/ budget is a concern the electric cutters work very well they simply do not offer these other features mentioned above. All the best with your search. If you are from Canada looking for cutters do think of us at PrintFinishing.com - Sydney Stone we offer the EBA, Triumph and Challenge paper cutters.

Did you ever talked to a BAUM dealer? They cell Polar machines under their brand. This would be good price and good quality.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back