Elliptical vs. Round vs. Square dot shape?

tmiller_iluvprinting

We print most of our 4 color work at 200LS with an elliptical dot shape. I wasn't involved in this decision, and we have been printing like this for at least 10 years. I have been asking why we chose to do this, and of course, most of the responses have been , 'we've always done it like that'. The reading that I have done has explained that elliptical is used mostly for screen printing and other print processes with heavy dot gain. We have problems matching proofs that are made using the official GRACol press data which I believe was run at 175 LS, using a square or round dot shape. The problem that we have when trying to match the GRACol proof is that the 1/4 tones on the press sheet are heavier than the proof. My thought is this may be because of our 200LS and elliptical dot shape. Any thoughts on this? What is the best dot shape for high quality sheetfed offset printing, or what do you use? Thank you.
Best regards,
Todd

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back