Nobody will give me a service contract for my Versant 180 despite low use & being immaculate.

JazzaBee

Hello,

Just paid off the lease on my Versant 180 & have been told I have 90 days left of my service contract.

I've tried numerous places to get another one but everyone gives me a click price 4 times what I was on as well as a monthly cost that is just under what the lease cost.

This is a Versant 180 in immaculate condition which has only done 13k clicks since new.

I believed that as I had paid for the machine I would be able to carry on printing at the usual click charge & recoup some losses without having the lease to pay but it seems Xerox have other ideas.

Any ideas, thoughts or help would be great. I may have to just buy everything & try to maintain the machine myself where possible.

I have had a few service calls on the machine, which was

1. specks on the print which took an analyst to fix by replacing the developer fluid.
2. Alignment issues which turned out to be within specification.
3. The motherboard on fiery died & was replaced.
4. We have used seemingly a lot of toners considering how many prints the cartridges claim to be able to manage.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

At your rate of use, you can probably get a number of additional years. Supplies and parts should mostly be the same as the V280, which I'd guess has 5+ years of parts
gmsupplies.com for toner and drums and some parts
partsdrop.com for other parts

This forum can help with problem diagnostics. A lot of your machine can be worked on with a few screws being removed. The more involved work like the registration unit, RoS windows, etc is usually needed after millions of clicks.

The high click cost and minimum fee is because you don’t use it a normal amount, the service provider doesn’t want to lose money on you if they have to come out every month but you’ve only made a handful of prints. If I look at this from a service provider perspective, this contract is a big gamble because any part or consumable (let alone a technician) is going to exceed the monthly revenue on it unless you significantly increase your print volume.

That being said, with your usage does the click charge really even matter that much?

Toner usage - the machine likely has cycles it runs that consumes toner regardless of prints, that would explain the abnormal toner consumption.

I would consider the following:

1. Does it even make sense for you to own your equipment with your usage?

2. Is the minimum monthly cost of this equipment impactful relative to the work you are doing with it? If your previous click cost was .035 and 4x is now .14…if you are printing 100 copies a month does that matter?

3. Do you want to hassle with / risk servicing it yourself?

4. Would a competitive print company buy the printer from you and put you on a more favorable lease / contract?

I did more prints on my old machine but that was during the pandemic, we bought the v180 with cash from that & then changes due to Brexit meant we had way less buyers after that happened fully. I only recently acquired the correct equipment to cut down prints & was intending to start offering flyers much more & treat this as a 2nd income rather than the main event.

I agree it doesn't make much sense for us to print ourselves based on that volume but i've paid a ton of money for the machine & wanted to move into selling leaflets & flyers more.

I can see what you're saying & agree....but I had no training moving onto this machine & have been unlucky with parts somehow.

Toner usage - the machine likely has cycles it runs that consumes toner regardless of prints, that would explain the abnormal toner consumption. - Interesting, we print posters only at the moment.

I would consider the following:

1. Does it even make sense for you to own your equipment with your usage? Probably not but It's hard to take the loss on the equipment.

2. Is the minimum monthly cost of this equipment impactful relative to the work you are doing with it? If your previous click cost was .035 and 4x is now .14…if you are printing 100 copies a month does that matter? - I would be ok with just 4 x the previous click charge but the extra charge xerox want is almost 6000 x the click charge per month & so it's a huge increase when it was just 3p a click before with nothing else to pay.

3. Do you want to hassle with / risk servicing it yourself? No but i feel i've been shafted on it & want to run it as long as possible.

4. Would a competitive print company buy the printer from you and put you on a more favorable lease / contract? - Interesting. I did think about this but didn't know where to start looking for further infromation.

Hello,

Just paid off the lease on my Versant 180 & have been told I have 90 days left of my service contract.

I've tried numerous places to get another one but everyone gives me a click price 4 times what I was on as well as a monthly cost that is just under what the lease cost.

This is a Versant 180 in immaculate condition which has only done 13k clicks since new.

I believed that as I had paid for the machine I would be able to carry on printing at the usual click charge & recoup some losses without having the lease to pay but it seems Xerox have other ideas.

Any ideas, thoughts or help would be great. I may have to just buy everything & try to maintain the machine myself where possible.

I have had a few service calls on the machine, which was

1. specks on the print which took an analyst to fix by replacing the developer fluid.
2. Alignment issues which turned out to be within specification.
3. The motherboard on fiery died & was replaced.
4. We have used seemingly a lot of toners considering how many prints the cartridges claim to be able to manage.

Thanks in advance, Jeff
If you want to self maintain the machine it is available the service manual in pdf format or pws laptop as xerox tech have.

Guys... To avoid a re-run of the previous saga, in which many of us spent many hours giving advice, test printing on our machines to show how things are done... be aware the OP is the same individual with a new handle. I'd offered UK based print & fulfilment services to the guy which was declined, @PricelineNegotiator offered to fly over to provide consultancy, which was declined.
Deputy Ynot has spoken. The PrintPlanet Police declare this thread CLOSED unless a thoughtful apology is given by JazzaBee.

Oh yeah this is the guy in the UK with a printer in his living room who can't get his printer to print consistent margins or something despite ignoring all of the advice from everyone on here repeatedly telling him what to do. Lol

Oh yeah this is the guy in the UK with a printer in his living room who can't get his printer to print consistent margins or something despite ignoring all of the advice from everyone on here repeatedly telling him what to do. Lol
How the heck do you run a Versant in a living room? I’ve never seen a house in the U.K. with a 32amp commando socket haha.

@JazzaBee - forget the idea of selling mass flyers/leaflets from your Versant 180. The money just isn’t there. Even at 0.035 per click, once you hit 1,000 leaflets for one order, it will be cheaper outsourcing to a trade printer. It’s just not a viable business model in the U.K.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back